OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Greetings Peeps!

Champion Feed in Delaware Ohio will be starting up their Chick Days on Thursday, Feb 19th.

Stop by and say "Hi" to all of the gang...and pick up a few chicks...or 20 :celebrate

Can't thank you enough for the notice of champion having chicks today. My DW and I went there today and did met the Fabulous crew that were working there. Very charming and polite. We just so happened to come home with a few chicks too.
1f60a.png

@loveourbirds @ShayBaby @OHhappychicks you 3 alive and well?@Stevens21 what about you?
Oh shoot! I'm so sorry I'm just seeing this after a month! Yep, still alive, Mandy! Hehe. And still as poultry-addicted as ever!
Sad news, actually, last winter we lost a few chickens to the cold, but no ducks. So I got it in my head they were really cold-hardy. This winter so far, I've only lost a couple chickens, but the other night after it got so incredibly cold, although the coop stays much warmer inside than outside, I went out the next morning to a sickening mass loss. 1 young silkie and 8!!!! ducks! Only 3 made it!
hit.gif
They'd obviously froze in their sleep, which is incredibly sad. DH bought me a Sweeter Heater-type heater the second I ran inside screaming that they were all dead, but turns out it doesn't heat squat, so I caved and hung a heat lamp again, though I'd vowed not to after nearly setting the brooder on fire last year. Haven't lost any more yet, and it's been just as cold out. Fingers crossed.

ANYWAYS. The main reason I've been gone so long! No good excuse, really, as I adore this thread and everyone in it. Looks like my last post was last August. That's when DH was away at military training. In September, we DROVE to and from San Antonio, Texas, for his graduation. And he got to come home a few days later. Most of them ship off for tech training immediately following, but there was issues with his citizenship (remember, he's British), so he had to come home and sort that out. Now they can't get him in until later this year. Fine by me! I love having him home. Then..in October, I was dealt some heartbreaking, life-altering information that has left me with deep depression and anxiety and panic disorders, and I didn't feel like doing anything but crawling in a hole and dying, so internet, and even my chickens, were on the back-burner. THEN, in December, things started looking up when we found out that, after 7 years of trying for #2...

...we are expecting our own little human chick!!!!!
wee.gif
love.gif
celebrate.gif
jumpy.gif

..so now we've been a little pre-occupied with that. Especially as I have some health risks and it seems like we're at the doctor constantly, and I already feel like a living pin-cushion.

Anyways, sorry I've been gone so long, guys! I really have missed this place. And WELCOME to all the new members since August!
lol.png

Last edited:
I just moved East of Columbus and I'm looking for chicks, but afraid I missed out on the best birds! Meyer's is all sold out of most breeds! Any suggestions? chicks or adults are fine...I'm on the classified here. I've never bought chicks from a tractor supply. Is that a good place to buy them? I'm interested in rainbow eggs (black copper marans, olive eggers, Crested Cream Legbars, Ameracaunas....) but I'm open! new to all this!

I just moved East of Columbus and I'm looking for chicks, but afraid I missed out on the best birds!  Meyer's is all sold out of most breeds!  Any suggestions?  chicks or adults are fine...I'm on the classified here.  I've never bought chicks from a tractor supply.  Is that a good place to buy them?  I'm interested in rainbow eggs (black copper marans, olive eggers, Crested Cream Legbars, Ameracaunas....)  but I'm open!  new to all this! 
I'll tell you TSC is a good place to buy but you will not find any of those breeds at TSC. Those are all rare and specialty breeds.

Anyone up north have any of these they'll be breeding?

Oh shoot! I'm so sorry I'm just seeing this after a month! Yep, still alive, Mandy! Hehe. And still as poultry-addicted as ever! Sad news, actually, last winter we lost a few chickens to the cold, but no ducks. So I got it in my head they were really cold-hardy. This winter so far, I've only lost a couple chickens, but the other night after it got so incredibly cold, although the coop stays much warmer inside than outside, I went out the next morning to a sickening mass loss. 1 young silkie and 8!!!! ducks! Only 3 made it! :hit They'd obviously froze in their sleep, which is incredibly sad. DH bought me a Sweeter Heater-type heater the second I ran inside screaming that they were all dead, but turns out it doesn't heat squat, so I caved and hung a heat lamp again, though I'd vowed not to after nearly setting the brooder on fire last year. Haven't lost any more yet, and it's been just as cold out. Fingers crossed. ANYWAYS. The main reason I've been gone so long! No good excuse, really, as I adore this thread and everyone in it. Looks like my last post was last August. That's when DH was away at military training. In September, we DROVE to and from San Antonio, Texas, for his graduation. And he got to come home a few days later. Most of them ship off for tech training immediately following, but there was issues with his citizenship (remember, he's British), so he had to come home and sort that out. Now they can't get him in until later this year. Fine by me! I love having him home. Then..in October, I was dealt some heartbreaking, life-altering information that has left me with deep depression and anxiety and panic disorders, and I didn't feel like doing anything but crawling in a hole and dying, so internet, and even my chickens, were on the back-burner. THEN, in December, things started looking up when we found out that, after 7 years of trying for #2... ...we are expecting our own little human chick!!!!! :weee :love :celebrate :jumpy ..so now we've been a little pre-occupied with that. Especially as I have some health risks and it seems like we're at the doctor constantly, and I already feel like a living pin-cushion. Anyways, sorry I've been gone so long, guys! I really have missed this place. And WELCOME to all the new members since August! :lol:
first off, CONGRATULATIONS! I'm sorry you've been going through whatever it is. I hope things are looking up and I will keep you in our prayers here. Did the calls pull through the cold?

first off, CONGRATULATIONS!
I'm sorry you've been going through whatever it is. I hope things are looking up and I will keep you in our prayers here.
Did the calls pull through the cold?
Thank you, very much appreciated.
Nope, that was the saddest part for me..I lost all my precious calls. I'm heartbroken!

Thank you, very much appreciated.

Nope, that was the saddest part for me..I lost all my precious calls. I'm heartbroken!

ahhh, I've

never known the calls to freeze ! I'll have to remedy that this summer for you.

I know! They made it through last winter great, and it seemed like it was just as cold. :confused:
I'd appreciate that, too! :hugs  I was going to see if you had any still, come warmer weather. I miss them like crazy already. That tiny girl was my absolute favorite bird!

I lost 6 of my 8 calls in our last cold snap around New Year's. I have a pair left running around. Someone is supposed to be getting them next week.

I know! They made it through last winter great, and it seemed like it was just as cold. :confused:
I'd appreciate that, too! :hugs  I was going to see if you had any still, come warmer weather. I miss them like crazy already. That tiny girl was my absolute favorite bird!
I don't have as many as did when you were here last. I had an owl grab all but 1 good breeding hen and 2 good drakes. So I'm starting my snowy over from scratch this year.

Back
Top Bottom