OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

No, not on antibiotics, would not know where to get them, and I have read not to use them as it kills off the good bugs in the gut. I have given them the probiotics in several ways...in water, plain yogurt (they love it), and sprinkled on food. Two hens had it, the one that didn't have it too bad is cured and back to laying eggs. The Welsummer just won't give it up, though. We have been washing her butt, setting her in a tub of epsom salts water, to clean off the gunk, and spraying the area with anti-fungal, and it's gotten better, but won't go away completely. I am getting tired of butt-washing every day, lol. What was the saying my kids used to say when they were little that made them laugh. Oh, it was ... Guess what...chicken butt.

No, not on antibiotics, would not know where to get them, and I have read not to use them as it kills off the good bugs in the gut.  I have given them the probiotics in several ways...in water, plain yogurt (they love it), and sprinkled on food.  Two hens had it, the one that didn't have it too bad is cured and back to laying eggs. The Welsummer just won't give it up, though.  We have been washing her butt, setting her in a tub of epsom salts water, to clean off the gunk, and spraying the area with anti-fungal, and it's gotten better, but won't go away completely.  I am getting tired of butt-washing every day, lol. What was the saying my kids used to say when they were little that made them laugh. Oh, it was ... Guess what...chicken butt.

I just picked up some penicillin at tractor supply for $10. It was cheep for the amount you get. I was glad to see the bottle is good for years too. You can also pick up needles and syringes there. I would prefer a smaller needle then they sell, for chicken comfort. If you want smaller then 20g kvsupply.com has them. I was told 3/4 to 1 cc once a day alternating shots in the breast muscle for 4 days.

I'm not a vet or trained in chicken care

Do some research on giving chickens antibiotics. See what you can find out and keep us posted.

No, not on antibiotics, would not know where to get them, and I have read not to use them as it kills off the good bugs in the gut.  I have given them the probiotics in several ways...in water, plain yogurt (they love it), and sprinkled on food.  Two hens had it, the one that didn't have it too bad is cured and back to laying eggs. The Welsummer just won't give it up, though.  We have been washing her butt, setting her in a tub of epsom salts water, to clean off the gunk, and spraying the area with anti-fungal, and it's gotten better, but won't go away completely.  I am getting tired of butt-washing every day, lol. What was the saying my kids used to say when they were little that made them laugh. Oh, it was ... Guess what...chicken butt.

I just picked up some penicillin at tractor supply for $10. It was cheep for the amount you get. I was glad to see the bottle is good for years too. You can also pick up needles and syringes there. I would prefer a smaller needle then they sell, for chicken comfort. If you want smaller then 20g kvsupply.com has them. I was told 3/4 to 1 cc once a day alternating shots in the breast muscle for 4 days.

I'm not a vet or trained in chicken care

Do some research on giving chickens antibiotics. See what you can find out and keep us posted.

I get mine at the feed store/elevator. They have many medicines for all the different farm animals in my area.

Perfect! The gal at TSC sold me the packets of probiotics for the water. Started that and will alternate probio water with mothered vinegar water. Still bathing that chicken butt with epsom water, and feeding them all plain yogurt mixed in their morning treats. Wella the Welsummer is getting better, just want it to go away completely.

Don't give them antibiotics for that....get some Probios powder at the feed store, and try that for a while, it should work.

Perfect!  The gal at TSC sold me the packets of probiotics for the water.  Started that and will alternate probio water with mothered vinegar water.  Still bathing that chicken butt with epsom water, and feeding them all plain yogurt mixed in their morning treats. Wella the Welsummer is getting better, just want it to go away completely.

Good to know that antibiotics are not the way to go. I hopefully won't have to deal with yucky butt ever! (Slim chance I know) It does sound really yucky!

Glad to hear Wella is on her way to recovery.

[/IMG]
soI've noticed a few of my girls have it looks likes bumps on the site of them... is this normal??? I've never had them this small

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom