OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Is the bump I circled what you are referring to? If it is, to me that looks like a full crop. Someone pigged out. Hopefully others from the group will weigh in. I could be wrong.
yes a few of them have it now and I've noticed them since the locust have gotten worse they go nuts after them and can eat them whole after just a few pecks at it I have grit in the pen for them also

yes a few of them have it now and I've noticed them since the locust have gotten worse they go nuts after them and can eat them whole after just a few pecks at it I have grit in the pen for them also

Is it just at night before they roost that you see it? In the morning is this lump the same size or smaller? If you feel it is a little firm but also squishy? Sorta like a balloon filled with sand?

If it's full at night and like a sand balloon then gone or almost gone in the morning I'd say it's their crop. I was worried about my girls because it would always seem to be more to one side. Not right down the middle like I would think. If it is just a really full crop that goes down I'm guessing it seems more pronounced because they are smaller.

Yes in the evening it is a Lil harder but we never noticed them till we expanded where they run and now others have it and it's only on one side

Sounds to me like they really like the 17 year cicadas.:yiipchick They can stuff themselves good and full. I would keep an eye on it. If it doesn't go down or gets more squishy you may have an issue.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

You can peruse this if you're really worried. I will admit in my first few nights of being a chicken mom I checked on my girls once they had gone to roost. One of them had a huge lump on her chest. I immediately thought the worst. I ran into the house and started researching... I felt pretty dumb when I found out they will stuff their crop full with something they really like to eat. I had no idea about chickens and their crop and how sometimes they are just like us and overindulge.

It is great that you are so in tune and aware of your girls.

awww I'd love 3. Can you tell me about them? We only have females. I'LL check with the husband tonight.

I can't post pictures on byc with my phone but I can email them to you or text them to you. We have 2 confirm roosters, one is gorgeous and bigger. We also have two that are feathering out blue but not sure of sex. They are about 5 weeks old. I bought the eggs from a lady up north and hatched them myself. They seem to be very calm and lively. Please feel free to pm with any questions?

I need some help from Ohio people. I need to get rid of some of my flock. Actually a lot of my flock due to recent problems. Is there anyone out there able to pay a few bucks (rehoming fee) for some beautiful babies. I have black copper marans roosters , chocolate Orpingtons (unsure sex) and wheaten ameraucana babies. It's just to much for us.
1f62d.png
1f62d.png

I can't post pictures on byc with my phone but I can email them to you or text them to you. We have 2 confirm roosters, one is gorgeous and bigger. We also have two that are feathering out blue but not sure of sex. They are about 5 weeks old. I bought the eggs from a lady up north and hatched them myself. They seem to be very calm and lively. Please feel free to pm with any questions?
thank you. I'm sorry but we take any roosters and husband said no more for this year.
I read last post and I'm sorry I can't help, I wish I could this year. Our coop isn't done yet & babies are 6wk now, needing to be out full time already.

Back
Top Bottom