OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Be sure to measure carefully!  I hope to get the panels on the windy west side and the east side up today, it's finally turning colder here.  I will probably leave the south side off for another month, and the north side is solid already.

Began putting up panels this afternoon. What a great idea!!!! It's going to be a bit expensive but so much easier than messing with the plastic sheeting.
Thanks again Toni

OMG!!! Ohio National Poultry Show is AMAZING!!! Checked it out tonight for a bit, son got to meet with the Director Erik Merkley. Saw many potential additions, not sure how everything works yet with this.
We don't breed them, strictly for egg production and adding to our flock. The prices are outrageous. Is there a difference between hatchery and breeder/ bought at a show bird?? We are going back tomorrow.

OMG!!! Ohio National Poultry Show is AMAZING!!! Checked it out tonight for a bit, son got to meet with the Director Erik Merkley. Saw many potential additions, not sure how everything works yet with this.
We don't breed them, strictly for egg production and adding to our flock. The prices are outrageous. Is there a difference between hatchery and breeder/ bought at a show bird?? We are going back tomorrow.
hatchery birds are bred to resemble the breed they are with no attention to quality. The birds for sale at nationals are most likely all show quality birds, rare, and or exotics. Some of these breeds you won't find at a hatchery anywhere, some of them you will.

If you want to show, hatchery birds may qualify to show as long as they match breed description. If you want to do well, buy from a breeder/shower. They will help teach you what you need to know, what to look for, etc. It's all you get what you pay for and quantity(hatchery) vs quality(breeder)

hatchery birds are bred to resemble the breed they are with no attention to quality. The birds for sale at nationals are most likely all show quality birds, rare, and or exotics. Some of these breeds you won't find at a hatchery anywhere, some of them you will.

If you want to show, hatchery birds may qualify to show as long as they match breed description. If you want to do well, buy from a breeder/shower. They will help teach you what you need to know, what to look for, etc. It's all you get what you pay for and quantity(hatchery) vs quality(breeder)

We will be there too! :)
I agree with minihorse on many points there and wanted to also add that hatcheries have to meet demands for numbers of birds produced so they aren't breeding to SOP (standard of perfection)/ APA or ABA standards like show breeders are. My experience with hatchery birds are that they tend to lean toward being fairly dependable layers that you can identify with a breed. They definitely are great choices for a lot of backyard flocks! But they are not show quality birds in the majority of cases. It's not just about feather colors or patterns- "type" is very important and some breeds also have egg color standards to meet. Before you spend big bucks on "show birds" you should get familiar with the SOP for the breed and understand that breeders may be selling their culls- these birds can have subtle (or not so subtle) flaws that the breeder determines are not suitable for their program. That being said, they can be great for making improvements in your program if you're looking for specific things.
Also, a quick browse on places like eBay for hatching eggs will show you how subjective a term "show quality" is! Some folks believe or have been told their birds are show birds but they are advertising birds with poor type, incorrect color or other issues that as you get more experience is easier to spot. So price isn't your best indicator for quality, imho. Learning the SOP for your breed(s) of choice is a solid starting point if you're taking the jump to breeder quality or show quality birds
1f642.png

We will be there too! :)
I agree with minihorse on many points there and wanted to also add that hatcheries have to meet demands for numbers of birds produced so they aren't breeding to SOP (standard of perfection)/ APA or ABA standards like show breeders are. My experience with hatchery birds are that they tend to lean toward being fairly dependable layers that you can identify with a breed. They definitely are great choices for a lot of backyard flocks! But they are not show quality birds in the majority of cases. It's not just about feather colors or patterns- "type" is very important and some breeds also have egg color standards to meet. Before you spend big bucks on "show birds" you should get familiar with the SOP for the breed and understand that breeders may be selling their culls- these birds can have subtle (or not so subtle) flaws that the breeder determines are not suitable for their program. That being said, they can be great for making improvements in your program if you're looking for specific things.
Also, a quick browse on places like eBay for hatching eggs will show you how subjective a term "show quality" is! Some folks believe or have been told their birds are show birds but they are advertising birds with poor type, incorrect color or other issues that as you get more experience is easier to spot. So price isn't your best indicator for quality, imho. Learning the SOP for your breed(s) of choice is a solid starting point if you're taking the jump to breeder quality or show quality birds
1f642.png
thank you for your response. Ended up with 2 gorgeous golden laced wyandotte and 1 more buff Orpington. All 3 just started laying, heck one of them laid while we were driving home! Onward to find our silver laced wyandottes now. Those will be from hatchery

One of our new wyandottes is snoring and sounding very raspy. She's eating and scratching normal. The 3 new girls AREA quarantined. I put electrolyte in the water as well. Did 2 dropper full of the water into each girls beak.
Anyone have dealt with this before and healed successfully? Heading to rural king tomorrow for DYROMICN (spelling). I knew something was off when hubby said she was snoring. These girls are hatched earlier April/May, starting to lay and are still pullets.
Thx folks:D

Back
Top Bottom