OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Hi All! I'm Jen from Athens, Ohio. My family and I are getting ready to start our adventure into the world of backyard chickens. Wish us luck!
big_smile.png

Hi everyone!! I'm wondering if anyone knows of a reliable person/company who does processing? I am debating on getting 20-25 chicks to raise for meat. I've never processed a bird before and think that 20-25 would be a huge undertaking. Before making my decision I'd like to find costs for a local processor. I like in central Ohio and can easily travel to Morrow, Delaware, Union, Franklin counties.

Thanks!!

Deborah

Here's the best deal around:

Spring Maple Enterprises
custom poultry dressing
400 Baseline Rd
Shiloh, Ohio
419-896-2468

This is a Mennonite processing facility and I've heard nothing but good things about them. They've never done any of my birds, but I did call and donate some roosters that somebody dumped in my driveway
somad.gif
It's about an hour drive southwest of me (from North Ridgeville). They have a separate building where they do all of their processing and they have a plucking machine which makes it go really fast. They only charge around $2/bird (plus extra if you don't bring your own bags, etc). May have to call and get on their list in advance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I am going to contact Hoffman Meats here in Cardington....they process beef and pork and hopefully will know if someone. I also did a little research on a whizbang plucker and if my hubby and make one for me we may just process them ourselves. It will be a chore but not as hard as I was expecting.

Hi back at ya Amy. I am loving this site as well.....tons of great info!

I pay $1.40 per bird to a guy who lives about 20 minutes away, during the summer he processes more than 3000 birds a day. His family run operation is amazing.
I am sure you'll be able to find someone near your residence that will process them for you. Good luck!!
Peace,
Dave

Hi all...I'm not in Ohio, but I'm a Buckeye born and raised! I was born in Gallipolis, adopted and lived in Athens for a year, then we moved to Pickerington where I lived until I graduated High School. How did I end up in Maine? Well, after I graduated, I attended Hocking College down in Nelsonville, but after two quarters, found out that I wasn't ready for college, so I joined the Navy. My last duty station was in a little town on the Maine coast called Prospect Harbor. I fell in love with the area, met someone, and decided to stay.
I'll be coming back through Ohio when we go to visit my relatives for the annual Family reunion at my Uncle Fred's farm in Glencoe.
Take care!

Back
Top Bottom