Ohio people w/ meaties.

The weather here in northeast ohio is getting better... atleast the chickens seem to think so. Now that the snow is gone they can get outside more. So can the ducks. I think we're averaging a nice 59-63 degrees out. For this week anyway. Lets hope it lasts!!!!
fl.gif

A week to go before my first processing date. Weather sounds like it will be nice this weekend, so should be a good time for them to add that last bit of weight.

Hello Buckeyes!!!

I just recently got into the chicken game and I went a bit overboard I think for a first timer.

100 meaties and 20 hens.

My question is in regards to the meaties. They are about 3 1/2 weeks old and I am dying to put them outside. I built the Salatin movable pens so they can pasture in safety but my question is this. Is it warm enough at night for them yet? I turned off the lamps about a four days ago and they are doing fine but I would really like to move them out of my garage. Do you think it is safe enough to put them out if I give them a board to perch on at night?

Tonight it is going to be 35*, and then 49,44, and 39 degrees. Is it still to cold? I live in Mahoning County so if anyone close by has any help I would be indebted.

Thanks,
Jeff

Quote:
Welcome! The batch I'm processing next weekend went out to the pasture 3 weeks ago. They were 3 weeks when I put them out. As long as they're mostly feathered, they should be fine. Mine took all this weather pretty well. They are probably a little bit smaller than they should be, but they are doing fine.

Thanks a million. I figured they would be fine, I just wanted to have someone encourage it.

Looking forward to learning lots hanging out here.

OK I am just sick of this cold, windy, and rainy weather we are having. My meat birds are 4 wks old and still have heat lamps. It was 38 degrees last night. This is just ridicules.
rant.gif

Oh I am sooo done with this cold wet weather. Man oh man how I long for summer. Our furnace went out, no sweat for us country bumpkins though, I just firing up the wood stove, but night time is no fun if I don't stoke the fire. So I went to Kmart and bought four electric blankets for us all.

I have 8 meaties in a small coop not enjoying this weather whatsoever. They still come out in the run to eat grass. If I could just get a week of 70 and sunny that is fine.

I don't think we'll have a Spring this year, it will be winter then right into summer. LOL

We butchered 43 of the first 70 some I put out 4 weeks ago this weekend. Average weight was 4.2 pounds at 7 weeks old. I didn't think that was too bad considering the weather they went thru. Next week onto the next 50!

Is that a dressed weight? If so that's good at 7 weeks... at least with pastured poultry. I decided to take mine to nine weeks on the 16% just because of the way the markets fell, I will give you the weights and pics after a butcher. I think the 16% is the ticket, way cheaper and puts on better yellow fat due to the higher corn content. I haven't processed any but they look fat and healthy, I don't think I will have a problem hitting 5-6 pounds for males. They did go through hell though on pasture, weights should be higher than that but it is... what it is.

Enjoy this sunshine, doesn't get any better. Just got done planting 500 Broccoli plants, need a beer!

Brunty, when you say 16%, is there a signiificant difference between a layer 16%, and a broiler 16%. I realize the protein is the same, but was wondering if the other nutrients varied?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom