OK BYCers, Time to Brain Storm

Chix-in-GA

Songster
11 Years
Nov 17, 2008
Nashville, GA
Some of you might have read about my "Quest" to get Marans and Orps from the UK. I have some problems that I need some advice on:

1) I need some ideas on keeping the eggs warm during shipping. How they could be packed.

2) How might aircraft pressurization affect the eggs, if at all?

3) I guess I just need some inputs on this thing...More minds the better

I hav read on BYC where people have had, I think, pigeons sent from Germany and would love to know how they were shipped.

As always, everyones opinion and help is greatly appreciated

I know there are some quarantine issues that you would have to deal with. You might want to add that to your list of things to research.
smile.png

I have the quarantine issues taken care of. I have also paid for all of the inspections that were required on the birds. I have been working on this for some time and just trying to work out the last few details. thanks for your input

Quote:
I'm sorry I dont know, but would suggest you contact the pigeon sites directly...I know the eggs need not be "warm" which sounds like it could start incubation - oops - but they shouldnt be allowed to get frozen either. It's the integrity of the egg you need to protect as much as the temp you need to preserve. Styrofoam/foam packing, or shipping material I've seen on the shipping sites is available, I can go look again on the pigeon shipping sites, but it's been a while (I never did do pigeons)...Bev Davis has said she has carried eggs on airplanes in her purse onboard airplanes, but the inside cabins of planes are pressurized. If the eggs you are importing are going into unpressurized cargo space (I'm not sure how airplanes work, so pardon my ignorance?)...I dont know how you would protect them from pressure. Bev's eggs were always okay from normal aircraft pressure, as I understand?
I'll keep looking around, hope this helps so far, not something I've ever experienced!
Tina

Tina..Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the comments and your knowledge.

I have found a few ideas as how to keep them warm. The styrofoam container is part of it. The pressure in cargo holds are, normally, not pressurized...but have read a few things on the interent on how to protect them.

I am in the planning stage while the last few health inspections are finished. As long as everything checks out with the birds I should be looking at shipping in a month or so.

Again thank you for your post

Quote:
Oh, you know I find this absolutely exciting!! I cant wait to see what you bring back, and please remember your journal? (Yeah, Im a pest about that!)
Take pics as well if you can...this is worthy of video documentary, I dont know if you realize how monumental this is? At least to poultry fanciers? Whew! Neat to be a part of, really.

big_smile.png

Best wishes in your endeavor, sir!
Tina/tfpets

Test out before you leave to see if
A.- for carrying on- use small hardsided coolers and one ore two of those instant handwarmers or thermacare packs are too hot to start incubation.
B.-for cargo- I would imagine that there is allowance as far as pressurization since large dogs are concidered cargo?!
Great luck to you on your quest!

omelette'smom :

Test out before you leave to see if
A.- for carrying on- use small hardsided coolers and one ore two of those instant handwarmers or thermacare packs are too hot to start incubation.
B.-for cargo- I would imagine that there is allowance as far as pressurization since large dogs are concidered cargo?!
Great luck to you on your quest!

Good point...Yup have already started researching the handwarmers...I did not think of the Dogs as cargo!

Wynette: Yup carry on is a possibility...But I am also looking at avenues of having them shipped. I have put out a lot of money on this so far...so if I can spare a ticket to England that would be great.

Everyone...thank you for your inputs...​

Back
Top Bottom