ok groundhogs-woodchucks wont hurt the chickens? just saw one at coop

sonew123

Poultry Snuggie
11 Years
Mar 16, 2009
onchiota NY
ok not sure if it was a groundhog or woodchuck-either or I thumbed through the posts on them and it has been said they are vegitarians? so they are not coming after my chickens? They are coming after their food? anyone have one attack the chickens? kill? what to do?

Last edited:
Groundhog/woodchuck~same thing

They are herbivores. They will eat grubs and bugs as well as greens. They love gardens! Your chickens are fine but they may eat eggs. Maybe they are going after the feed.

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck?

How many chickens would a woodchuck eat just doesnt work right.
gig.gif

The only problem with woodchucks is the tendency for them to dig pretty extensive burrows. If they burrow near your coop/sheds they can actually undermine your structure. My mother had a woodchuck set up house under a set of concrete steps, causing the whole massive staircase to sink into the burrow. The steps canted away from the house leaving a rather big gap between house and top step, requiring a very expensive fix. They can also cause broken ankles in cattle, horses and humans when you step into one of their holes without warning. Woodchucks are not dangerous in themselves, but they can be a real nuisance because of their digging.

Quote:
I would have to disagree with you on this thought, get between babies and momma, or corner one on the porch, and those things can be preaty dangerous.
barnie.gif

Quote:
I would have to disagree with you on this thought, get between babies and momma, or corner one on the porch, and those things can be preaty dangerous.
barnie.gif

I agree with this. We had a huge woodchuck living in a wood pile. The thing actually killed a couple cats. We were afraid to go near the area. When they got rid of it, it put up a fight.

I know a lady who lost a large Boxer who got into a fight with a groundhog.. The groundhog bit the Boxer's tongue really badly and the poor fella lost a lot of blood.. The vets apparently also mentioned the possibility that a clot moved from the wound into the brain, causing the dog to have a stroke. It soldiered on for a few days, but they eventually had to put it down.

Personally, I'd kill a groundhog any chance I got.. They burrow around in my barn and wreak havoc, plus they'll eat your garden..

There's also nothing quite like that breathtaking feeling when you're bushhogging a hillside and your downhill rear tire sinks into a burrow and puts you -- very quickly -- even more off center than you expected to be. Scary stuff.

Quote:
barnie.gif

I agree with this. We had a huge woodchuck living in a wood pile. The thing actually killed a couple cats. We were afraid to go near the area. When they got rid of it, it put up a fight.

Any animal when cornered will put up a fight, they will fight a dog to the death if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom