ok groundhogs-woodchucks wont hurt the chickens? just saw one at coop

I thought this was a question about woodchucks attacking chickens?
I've never seen a woodchuck just attack if it can get away. They usually stay away from people if there is enough traffic. Heck I had one living under my chicken coop before it was one and I ain't seen hide nor hair of it since.
Heck I'll bite ya if you antagonize me enough.
lol.png

We have a groundhog under our shed right next to my doghouse,dogcrate chicken enclosure. I am pretty sure the groundhog can't chew thru the dog crate which is what the run is made of but I know he could chew thru the doghouse. I am really worried about my chickens now. I know the food might temp him.

He wants the food and maybe some eggs but unless your chickens attack him he wont try to hurt them but other people are right their digging can be dangerous and expensive!

I had a groundhog chew through my chainlink fence.Big no-no. Then he/she chewed up all my fruit tree saplings. Oh boy was I hoppin' mad. Last thing he/she did was dine on my garden veggies. Groundhogs are no longer tolerated in my yard.

Groundhogs never bothered my chickens.If you don't mind the other possible issues then let it stay.

This came up again?

Well here's a little more on my wood chuck living under my coop story. Late at night I would whiz in it's hole. Sorry but that's the truth. It left and rabbits took it's place. Whiz never seemed to bother the rabbits though. They had a few litters. I know this cuz I found two bunnies one spring and one last spring.

They're gone now I suspect and I think the reason is cuz two evenings they came home and the chickens were out and wanted to play tag with them. It was pretty funny to see the chickens chase the rabbits around the yard.
lol.png

If there is a man in the house I'd have him whiz down the holes in the evening when the neighbors can't see. I'll bet it won't be long before they head for the hills.
gig.gif
I wouldn't have him do this when he was drinking he might fall and break a leg. That would be hard to explain at the emergency room. "Well I was 'burp, out whizzing down 'burp, wood chuck holes", passes out on the table.
lau.gif

Rancher

Quote:
good chance a trapper used the hogs for bait urine has salt in it this tends to attract rabbits, deer ,porcupine etc I use fox pee for bait in rabbit box traps it works quiet well
smile.png

Quote:
Just sittin' here, in the hospital internet cafe after my P.T. for my back, just mindin' my own (BYC) business--and I KNOW the kid on the 'puter next to me wants to know what's making me try not to giggle. SEVERAL sidelong glances, after each not-well-controlled guffaw.

But anyway, yes, woodchucks are murder on the garden, okay around chickens themselves. I've heard of the burrows, I'm lucky the ones near me haven't caused any trouble in that dept.

We've got one now over the hill, which is better than under the coop. I like watching his chubby, furry self scamper down over the gulley when I'm coming down the driveway. They can really hustle for being so chubby.
Had a big tunnel down through the (dirt) floor of FIL's barn last year. Not sure if it was the same guy or not, but that one trundled along our back fenceline, and my girls were quite interested. They clucked and followed him along the entire boundary, until he veered off toward the barn. I ran in and googled after watching THAT to verify that the critter was harmless (to my girls).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom