ok.....mmmm.....where is the roos penis???

What an interesting thread, more information than I want or need, seeing as I don't have a rooster...I too learned something new today, that of course is a good thing, I think?

You know, I would never have guessed that they didn't have one, after watching some of the things our main roos do...kinda too graphic to describe here...but, well, here goes...Whitey used to grab his hen's head and shove her head onto the ground. then he would cover both her and him with his wings and took a longer time then you would think...well, pretty sexy for a chicken, you get the picture. Dazzle does this sometimes, too.
big_smile.png

great question.
i ran a petting zoo for a long time and used to make sets of questions and answers for mini lectures for different groups, age groups, religious orientation (using different words for sexual acts since some groups only say 'getting married' etc) , ethnic backgrounds etc (difficult country i live in, no?) ... anyhows, alpaca penises, duck penises (and they do have penises , the ducks i mean, they are twisty , rather like an israeli snack called beasli , its like little skinny twisty macaronis...
alpacas also have interesting methods, involving , more or less, an uniterested female, and practically date rape maneuvers. maybe tis not really a penis physiologically.

porcupines have very long penises in order to avoid all their mates' quills, and they are monogomous, and breed every single day, (he never knows wehn she is in heat, and she lets him have some every day so that he doesn go to other 'flowers'...
but i never knew that roosters didnt really have an external or even an internal telescoping organ??? ok, new one for me...
so i need a biological description of exactly hwo it all happens...

and if we are on the subject, what is the 'matter' called? is it semen? and how long does it 'keep' in a hen? in other words, how long after being with a rooster is she with fertile eggs? hwo does that work? are there differences in times between different species (i heard that turkeys can remain fertile for months after being with a male)? ok, i thought i was up o biology but obviously missed the avian biology...

in in that case, si there a way to artificially enseminate a hen? like with goats? and if so, how on earth do they get the rooster to cooperate (with dogs its really , well, u know, basically hand done, at least where i worked with a vet... )

and if we are on the subject, what is the 'matter' called? is it semen? and how long does it 'keep' in a hen? in other words, how long after being with a rooster is she with fertile eggs? hwo does that work? are there differences in times between different species (i heard that turkeys can remain fertile for months after being with a male)? ok, i thought i was up o biology but obviously missed the avian biology...

in in that case, si there a way to artificially enseminate a hen? like with goats? and if so, how on earth do they get the rooster to cooperate (with dogs its really , well, u know, basically hand done, at least where i worked with a vet... )
Yes, semen. She has storage built into her oviduct and can lay fertile eggs for ~3 weeks after being separated from a rooster. That's also how long breeders have to wait when they change their rooster and want to be sure the new guy is fathering the chicks.

And yes, you can artificially inseminate chickens. Roosters can be "milked" and then the hens are inseminated with a syringe -- there are step-by-step instructions in Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens. The only reason I can think of to ever do such a thing is if you have birds that struggle to reproduce due to their build (like a Cornish).

Back
Top Bottom