OK, so which quail has a tail? (PICS added)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttercup Chillin

Songster
11 Years
Oct 27, 2008
SouthEast TX
You read that right.

Got a chick from the kindergarden class, supposed to be a quail from another classes hatch. This little chick ended up in their room after the guy came and picked up the chicks a few days later. (This class hatched some of my Big Browns and the new Golds).

So now this chick is about 4 weeks old and has about a 2 inch + tail. Its not a Coturnix for sure. Darker brown on one side of feather than the other. Feather tip ends in a White point. The chick did look like a Coturnix when I got it from the class, but not for long.

I know a picture is worth a thousand words. I will get some batteries and try to take a few pics.

(PSs. for those of you that got emails from me, that I didn't send, sorry but out of my control and you are no longer in my contact list- I dumped it).
edited to ad (that means I don't have anyones email address anymore, too though).

edited to add pics.
Yes, the tail is bluish grey. My seed store guy says, no possible way it could be one of his Peacocks as it was to small. He thought he was passing me a quail, as he had been told.
17739_104_0434.jpg

17739_104_0435.jpg

17739_104_0436.jpg

Ok Bird Guru's, what is it? I have had it by itself in a small cage and just now moved it to a larger cage. VERY FLIGHTY, hence the frazeled tail. Still needs warmth though, as back is not completely feathered.
Probably hatched May 23rd as they dropped it off on May 27th, last day of school. Just starting to show feather development at that time. (Teachers now know to grind all quail feed - GBF - for any quail babies they hatch). Is it some kind of quail or did one of those Kindergarteners go outside and bring a wild baby bird back to the school room?

Last edited:
Hello Edith, don't know bout your mystery quail but bobs have a bit of a tail... The girls
From your birds are doin well. I just sent some of there eggs to Co. Yesterday. Pass'in it on...Bill

Good to hear.

The class of now 1st graders hatched the big brown and the new Golds at 100% hatch rate. I was suprised and proud of them. Then they played with them for a week and they still grew well. But now anything that shows up in their room well, teach has my number. Knows to drop it off at my feed store and have him call me. LOL.

So be careful with those Kindergardener hatches. You may end up with more than you bargained for. LOL.

Well it isn't fully feathered yet, so I will just have to be patient. But it makes me wonder just what it is.

edited, also been reading some of the posts..what's the problem??? I have people call me demanding I sell them breeders, like that's going to work with me. LOL

Last edited:
I can't contribute anyhing helpful, but am very interested in what the bird is. It is just a guess but I am leaning towards a bobwhite cross with some other quail. And no this is no educated guess as I have never seen anything like it before. I don't even raise bob's, just coturnix. I do know that the wild quail around my place do have small tail feathers that are only seen when in flight.

What I thought, a BOB cause it sure isn't a Coturnix. Quail head, quail body, but a tail.
The tail threw me and just not sure. Wanted to make sure it wasn't a wild bird of some kind. (Around here there are wild Blue Scales, but never have seen a young one).

Never had BW's - don't want them. Especially if this flighty thing is one. Actually, let it stay on its stuffed dog's back and all is calm.
It can grow out in its own cage well away from the Coturnix breeding pens and coveys and the chickens for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom