***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Does anyone know who I need to call to find out the laws or ordinances on owning chickens? Long story but the neighbor with the dog that attacked their chicken, well even after putting up an electric fence it jumped it last night and got my chickens (this is their other dog, not the one that got them last time) while my girls were in their coop. My barred rock is pretty beat up and another got plucked. I was in complete shock, really? Again? Here I was feeling sorry for the guy for all he goes through but they STILL haven't done anything to control the dogs. An electric fence is not gonna do it obviously. I called and the lady came outside calling her dog. Never did she call back to see what the damage was, and as I've said before these are actually nice people. They feel terrible when it happens but yet they don't keep them in a pen or in their house. I would be mortified if my dogs got their chickens! I would do whatever it took to keep my dogs in my own yard even if my neighbors didn't have pets!

Anyway, I called animal control here in Bixby which just puts you through to the police department. I started to tell the guy my story and he stopped me. He was VERY nice and just trying to help me but said in Bixby you can only have 3 animals period. He said he would be happy to have the animal control guy come out but didn't want me getting in trouble for having more than three animals. I know in Tulsa you can have six chickens, but in Bixby you can't? That seems crazy to me, Bixby is rural. In Tulsa if you have 6 chickens can you not have a dog or cat? As far as Bixby goes I can't find any information as to what the rules are. The only thing I found said it was a case by case basis. That seems odd. The police say 3 animals period and I just can't imagine that's true. Who do I call?

Now I have no leverage with the neighbors, I can't get help unless I get rid of my chickens, boo!

Jennifer, I am so sorry to hear about your problems. Bixby has changed a lot since I moved out here, it is loosing it`s small town charm and turning into another Tulsa bedroom community. I wish you the best for amicable outcome.

Here's our little ones that hatched Sunday-Tuesday, got a little bit of everything! One lakenvelder, maybe one Sultan? (it was supposed to be Lakenvelder), one BBR OEGB, two cream legbar girls, three Isbars, and two Ameraucanas (hatched from our own eggs).

Congrats on your hatch.....they are so cute!

Here's our little ones that hatched Sunday-Tuesday, got a little bit of everything! One lakenvelder, maybe one Sultan? (it was supposed to be Lakenvelder), one BBR OEGB, two cream legbar girls, three Isbars, and two Ameraucanas (hatched from our own eggs).

Cute babies. might use a toothbrush to fluff up the Sultan. plastered feathers don't allow the baby to stay as warm as a fluffy butt.

Happy Friday everyone!! Hope everyone gets some rain!! We need it!!

Silly question, again:
I have oyster shell set out for my hens, and I know that they will only eat it when they need it, but JEEZ!! Its like they never eat it! Should I be concerned? Or maybe try to mix it in with something? Maybe they dont like the taste? Im not sure? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Did you read here?

http://www.bixbypolice.org/animal_control.php

"NUISANCE: Any animal which scratches or digs into any flower bed, garden tilled soil, vines, shrubbery or small plants and in so doing injures the same; or which habitually prowls around or over any premises, not the property of its owner, to the annoyance of the owner or occupant of such premises; or which overturns any garbage can or other vessel for waste products, or scatters the contents of same; or an animal which chases or kills any domestic animal; or which is permitted to bark, howl, bray or make any other loud or offensive noise common to its species or peculiar to itself so as to disturb the inhabitants of the community."

"5-6A-10: NUISANCE ANIMALS:
A. Prohibited: It shall be unlawful for any owner within the corporate limits of the city to harbor, keep or have possession of any animal which is a nuisance.
B. Seize And Impound: It shall be the duty of the chief of police, upon proper notification that any person claiming that an animal is a nuisance has filed a verified complaint, approved by the city attorney or the city prosecutor, alleging that such animal is a nuisance, to seize and impound the animal."

I would say this dog DEFINITELY falls under the category of nuisance, but I can't find ANYTHING online about Bixby chicken ordinances. You need to call city hall and find someone who can look up the ordinances on animals in Bixby. Please let us know what you find out, I think it benefits everyone to know the laws and ordinances pertaining to chickens in the communities around where we live.

NANAKAT

Thanks I was wondering about that, he had trouble and I had to help him hatch but I didn't think getting him all wet again would be a good idea- off to find my "scrubber" toothbrush!

Did you read here?

http://www.bixbypolice.org/animal_control.php

"NUISANCE: Any animal which scratches or digs into any flower bed, garden tilled soil, vines, shrubbery or small plants and in so doing injures the same; or which habitually prowls around or over any premises, not the property of its owner, to the annoyance of the owner or occupant of such premises; or which overturns any garbage can or other vessel for waste products, or scatters the contents of same; or an animal which chases or kills any domestic animal; or which is permitted to bark, howl, bray or make any other loud or offensive noise common to its species or peculiar to itself so as to disturb the inhabitants of the community."

"5-6A-10: NUISANCE ANIMALS:
A. Prohibited: It shall be unlawful for any owner within the corporate limits of the city to harbor, keep or have possession of any animal which is a nuisance.
B. Seize And Impound: It shall be the duty of the chief of police, upon proper notification that any person claiming that an animal is a nuisance has filed a verified complaint, approved by the city attorney or the city prosecutor, alleging that such animal is a nuisance, to seize and impound the animal."

I would say this dog DEFINITELY falls under the category of nuisance, but I can't find ANYTHING online about Bixby chicken ordinances. You need to call city hall and find someone who can look up the ordinances on animals in Bixby. Please let us know what you find out, I think it benefits everyone to know the laws and ordinances pertaining to chickens in the communities around where we live.
Yes, I read this last night when I decided to call. I knew I was in the right as far as the dog being a nuisance. The only thing I could find online about Bixby said it was a case by case basis, gee that's helpful! I will call the city later today after work and see if I can get anywhere. Typically they are a pain in the butt and don't know or care about much. Even though I am on almost two acres I am in a residential area so I'm probably screwed. Nice to know there is nothing set in stone. I'm so aggrivated that their dogs can just come over as they please and there is nothing I can do. Even if I didn't have chickens I have two dogs and two cats and according to Bixby that's a no no.

Rinda, your baby chicks are just gorgeous! I wan't to squeeze them (gently)!
love.gif

Cute chicks!!!!!! Love the top knoted one so adorable.

That issue w/ the city and the neighbors dog is a sticky one, hope you get it figured out w/o loosing your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom