***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Pics

Buckguy20

OKIE MOSES
13 Years
Apr 13, 2007
Choctaw Oklahoma
Welcome to the "Okies in the BYC"
We are a group of chicken loving people from Oklahoma and a few states beyond. Please jump in and tell us about yourself and your birds.

The BYC Staff asks that everyone take a moment to read the rules here
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/misc.php?action=rules, particularly the part about flaming, trolling, teasing and fighting.

Remember that all threads are subject to these rules.

Last edited:
This lemon blue cochin sweetie had a touch of shrinkwrap. When I peeled the stuck membrane off her, she popped straight up and peeped at me! D'aaawwwwwww!

Just left Tractor Supply, where I met with one of our state feed inspectors. She agreed with me on the quality of those scratch grains. After talking to the store manager, I learned that I wasn't the first to return a bag. The inspector is taking additional samples, is going to file an official complaint against the producer, and the manager is going to address it with the main office.

We received one inch of rain this morning in 30 minutes! There was no real pond water because the run-off filled all the surface cracks from the drought. Looking forward to the rain the rest of the weekend forecasters are promising.

Retired school administrator here...I've seen the best and the worst in both students, parents and teachers.
Respect begins at home, is nourished by love, polished by experience and tempered by adversity.

Today, I was given the very good opportunity to educate two reckless teenage boys on the dangers behind provoking an animal, specifically, a leashed dog.

I was visiting the park, with my dog, Suka, out to get some exercise. After about my third lap around the walking path, I was approached by two young teenage boys, probably about 14. Just by their very demeanors, I could tell right from the start, they were trouble makers. When in doubt, trust your gut!!

One of them asked if he could pet my dog. Taking this as a good sign that he had at the very least asked, I said yes. Instantly, he flung out his arms and leaped at her in an attempt to startle her.

Suka, of course surprised, confused, and very scared, immediately cringed and urinated in submission. This provoked a slew of delighted laughter from the boys.

And of course I was indignant! Petting another person's dog is not something to be taken lightly! It is the same exact thing as handling someone else's phone, so to speak--just like dropping the phone can cause damage, scaring a dog can and sometimes will cause emotional damage, which can result in trust issues!

Not one to just pass up this opportunity to educate the future generation I am to be a part of, I instantly launched into a descriptive lecture as to why you should never, ever scare a dog, especially a strange one!

Quoting my sentiments:

"Hold on a moment! What exactly was that? That is certainly not petting the dog! Do you know what you did wrong?" I asked, to which he responded, "No".

"You do not ever startle a person's dog. Ever. Dogs naturally respond to scary situations with a fight, flight, or flee mentality. If this dog was to have reacted aggressively, you were in the perfect spot to receive extreme bite wounds to your fingers, hands, or even your entire arm. Depending on the damage done, you could lose certain abilities in that sense.

But what about the owner of the dog? A dog bite on someone else can be punished by state law. There are fines, that would be a severe financial loss to the owner. How would you feel if you cost a family a large sum of money for your carelessness, hmm?"

I am actually rather proud to say I silenced every arrogant snort and laugh coming from those boys. They were quiet, and now that I had their utmost attention, I instructed them on how to properly pet a dog, always beginning by asking the owner first.

Since he still wanted to pet her after this lecture, I allowed him, and was pleased to see that he did exactly as I had advised.

It is indeed satisfying to know that I have educated two younger people on the right way to approach a dog. It may save their lives in the future, and will certainly save a person/or people from some serious issues in the not so distant future.

Hey guys all your good thoughts a few weeks ago worked for me! I got the job. I am the new 6th and 7th grade Science Teacher in Dibble :)

If anyone has Science stuff they want to get rid of I am a new teacher and looking for things for my classroom

Last edited:
After giving Bumpers her feeding earlier she got a little agitated and flapped. I leaned back, and she literally climbed my shirt and snugged her head up next to mine, then wouldn't move. I fumbled for my phone so I could get a picture, afraid she'd pull away, but she stayed right there. Nobody can tell me they don't feel.

I got chicken hugged! :hugs

Dear Momma,

It's been raining all day long, and I'm feeling a little bit blue. The camp director soaked our chopped corn in apple juice to try to cheer me up. It was okay. My brother told me to quit whining and showed me how to throw corn in the air and catch it. He's such a show off. When I didn't laugh and try it, he put on his grouchy face and told me to just go to bed early. I didn't wanna, so I sat by the camp director and used my psychic powers to get her to take me on a walk-about.

You won't believe what I saw! There's this pen, and it's covered, and it's got lots of hay and straw and shavings and stuff in it. But the best thing in it is the piggies. I couldn't see them very well, so the CD opened the gate to let them walk around by the barn for a little bit. (By the way, CD is short for Camp Director. Just thought I'd fill you in on that one.) So the pigs took turns getting drinks from a bucket, and I was super surprised when Ophelia, the biggest girl, put her whole head into the bucket and swallowed down enough water to sink a ship. She didn't come up until the bucket was nearly drained. They ate some apple peels and some whole bananas, still in the skin! I'm not kidding. They ate the bananas and the peels and then they asked for more snacks, so the CD gave them some corn bread, and then they went back in the piggie house. I got to eat some corn bread, too, which made me happy, so I asked if we could go a little further to see if anyone else was still outside.

There's this big rooster guy. His name is Hercule. He's got two really, really hot babes that follow him everywhere. They came over to talk to us for a few minutes. Hercule told me all about the possum that got snatched up last night by something big; something with wings. One minute the stinky old possum was there, walking around looking for stuff to eat, and the next minute the possum had disappeared, leaving just a puff of fur on the ground. Hercule told us to come look, and so we did. He showed us the exact spot where the possum got snatched. The way Hercule told the story, Momma, made me all shivery. I'm going to retell it tonight, after we're tucked in. It's going to make the best scary story I've ever, ever told.

We heard some ducks calling, so we said goodbye to Hercule and his babes and went in search of the voices. The runners were too preoccupied to talk with us, but the muskovies were happy for the company. They talked, and talked, and talked, and took long drinks, and talked some more. I wish they talked about something more interesting than nest building or mud grubbing. Both are interesting subjects, to a point, but there is only so much that a man can hear before it all starts to sound like, "Quack, quack, quack, quack, quack." Know what I mean? Aren't they pretty, Momma? I might go talk to them again tomorrow.

So then we went back to the camp pen, since I was feeling happier, and I could tell that there were some jealous vibes floating around. It's not my fault that the CD picked me, and that nobody else got to go exploring today. So the CD put me down, and I walked up and I was like, "Dude. What's with the grouchy face?" I can't repeat anything he said, 'cause I know kids might read my letters, so I'll just let the photo speak for itself.

So the CD said, "Adios," which means goodbye, and she went back to camp headquarters. It'll be dark soon, so I'll close this letter by saying that my day got better and I'm glad I had a chance to tell you about it because I don't want you to think that I'm not having a good time here. I'll write to you soon.

Love,
Phtheven

Back
Top Bottom