***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Someone stole the NPR radio channel this morning!!!!! How do they expect me to stay awake on my drive home??? With hundreds of channels of crap and noise to choose from they take my one lone radio station! Well I made it home anyway, good thing I have enough voices in my head that can have interesting enough conversations to keep me awake.

I am interested in having my black bresse/barred rock crosses caponized. do they grow bigger faster after?

They don't grow bigger faster, just bigger at the same rate. A roo expected to reach full weight of 8 lbs. will likely reach full weight of 10 - 15 lbs., depending on his diet. I feed boiled potatoes and steamed corn, ground up, for the two weeks before processing.

Hello from Tuttle, Oklahoma. I'm new to raising chickens. We purchased our pullets this spring from a local auction. It is very evident now that I had no idea what I was doing. Because 8 of my 9 "pullets" turned out to be roosters! I tried to give them away, but no takers. We ended up slaughtering the bigger ones, the delawares and orpington, because they were fighting terribly and tearing up the little bantam silkie we wanted to keep. Out of the silkies we kept hoping they would all turn out to hens, only one is. I now have 3 bantam silkie Roos and 1 silkie hen. Blah! I am really terrible at this it seems. I want to add some small to medium size hens to my little flock. I was thinking Barred Rock and Easter Eggers. From what ive read they are good egg layers and are cold hearty. Does anyone suggest a hatchery? I'm sacred to go back to an auction! No more Roos please!

I'm in Mustang and I have two pullets, a suspected New Hampshire Red & an Australorp/NHR mix, you are welcome to if you want them. Nothing fancy but they're healthy and have the right parts. About 16 weeks old. I bought them locally from a couple in Union City.

Just for fun, here's my newest mouth to feed, Athena. Great Dane pup.

I did see the earlier post about the Brabanter. I'm so sorry to hear that he passed away. I had a mystery death here, and upon close examination, I found that he had attempted to eat a stick. It was lodged in his throat, which blocked his air supply. Sometimes we just can't know.
Pinch pots are made by forming a ball of clay, and then the artist sticks his or her thumb into the middle and pinches and turns, pinches and turns, until the pot is formed. Burnishing is polishing the greenware, the clay that is dry but not fired. It make the finish shiny : )
I would be happy to caponize your boys. Let me know when they are four weeks old, and we'll set a date for me to pick them up.
That would be so wonderful to get them caponized! It's the idea of having so dang *many of these "packing peanuts" running around with hormones that concerns me :) We're giving all extra boys the outside perimeter of the yard, they'll have a huge shed and lots of room but it'd sure be nice to have them missing their male parts to avoid fighting. They're only 4 days old now but I'll let you know ahead of time and bring them all to your town so you won't have to drive.
Those pots are so imaginative and pretty , I hope the kids are proud. Those would be great for soooo many uses.

kass-sorry about your radio station lol

Alright, here's some pictures of the birds I got at newcastle last night. My Fav boy, he's real young, probably 4-5 months or so I'm guessing. I feel better having a Fav boy again.

One of the Silver Phoenix girls, I was so glad to get them!

The little cockerel my husband got for a dollar, he named him Buck cuz that's what he cost. He's all set up with an OEGB hen and seems quite pleased.

One of the sweet and soft Delaware girls.

That would be so wonderful to get them caponized! It's the idea of having so dang *many of these "packing peanuts" running around with hormones that concerns me :) We're giving all extra boys the outside perimeter of the yard, they'll have a huge shed and lots of room but it'd sure be nice to have them missing their male parts to avoid fighting. They're only 4 days old now but I'll let you know ahead of time and bring them all to your town so you won't have to drive.
Those pots are so imaginative and pretty , I hope the kids are proud. Those would be great for soooo many uses.

Alright, here's some pictures of the birds I got at newcastle last night. My Fav boy, he's real young, probably 4-5 months or so I'm guessing. I feel better having a Fav boy again.

The little cockerel my husband got for a dollar, he named him Buck cuz that's what he cost. He's all set up with an OEGB hen and seems quite pleased.

love.gif

Pretty Birds

You got some nice birds last night. I wondered what those hens were, (Silver Phoenix), they are so beautiful. If Buck is a fun as our Moonpie, who cost $1.25, he will be well priceless.

Back
Top Bottom