***OKIES in the BYC III ***

@TRUE5. That's what I've been reading is they can still get cocci on the medicated. I have corid on hand so prepared there.

@sagetown. I don't feed layer pellets to my flock. I feed fermented grains and feed their eggs shells back to them for calcium. But thanks for the tips.

I think flock raiser has same protein as the game bird grower. I'll have to find some time to get over to atwoods to get feed for the chicks.

Last edited:
i make fermented feed from the chick starter for the little ones, then depending on the age of the flock, fermented feed- for the most part the don't waste as much that way. i tried not giving medicated starter last year, only 1 survivor- so not gonna risk that again

Lost my sweet half a crow Serama boy today.... out of the blue- dark red comb, assuming heart condition- he was a sweet boy and a good Papa

his little lady has been calling for him, feel sorry for her

i make fermented feed from the chick starter for the little ones, then depending on the age of the flock, fermented feed- for the most part the don't waste as much that way. i tried not giving medicated starter last year, only 1 survivor- so not gonna risk that again

Lost my sweet half a crow Serama boy today.... out of the blue- dark red comb, assuming heart condition- he was a sweet boy and a good Papa

So sorry for your loss...
hugs.gif

I use a big enough gauze square to cover the wound, cover it with triple antibiotic ointment then coat it with granulated sugar which I also packed into the wound after it has been cleaned. Then I use an ace bandage to hold the gauze on and change out ever couple of days. Usually you only have to do it for a week. It is amazing. I have seen it grow skin over flesh..

I use a 21% chick starter mixed with 28% game bird grower for most of my chicks.
I've heard several people talk about using granulated sugar. Why do u think it heals so well? I hope I don't need to try it for a long time but I will. Nu stock has always been the best product for me.

Thank you everyone! She is still eating and drinking and acting fine. What is the best way to clean out the wound before I spray the vetericyn on it?
If u can keep her calm enough, I'd put her in the kitchen sick and squeeze warm water over it until it looks clean. They actually get used to it and start to like it. But there's always the exception.

Oh Robin, I'm so sorry. Hugs for you and his little lady
hugs.gif

Robin, so sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

Those of you w/ goats have you seen this?

That is funny.
gig.gif
Mine like to do stupid things like that too;

One of my pullets escaped from the coop and got pecked at by my big girls. She has a pretty nasty looking wound on her back. Should I try to save her or should I just kill her? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.
[/IMG]

That will heal fine. Certainly not life threatening and nothing to cull over.

Lost my sweet half a crow Serama boy today.... out of the blue- dark red comb, assuming heart condition- he was a sweet boy and a good Papa his little lady has been calling for him, feel sorry for her
I'm so sorry, Robin :hugs He was such a darling tiny boy. Ebony is going to be so very sad. I've got a Black Silkied Serama I need to find a home for but he's the size of Channing, not a micro like Ebony & Jet.

Kass, OMG the rooster and grub story was hilarious lol! I miss the Yeti stories, too :) Still think about her and smile.

Oh, forgot to add-Dusti, you said you don't feed layer pellets and just fermented grain instead? I ferment scratch and feed it on top of layer pellets but would sure like to only feed the fermented stuff. What grains do you ferment? Those layer pellets just look so dang unappealing, the birds scarf up the fermented stuff and just pick at the layer feed. I feed them eggshells and they have oyster shell also. Do I really need to even waste the money on layer pellets??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom