***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I have a question. Will it be ok to leave hatching eggs on my counter for a few days so I can make sure my styrofoam incubator holds temp and humidity. I bought these eggs at the Newcastle auction lastnight and they don't have a date at all so I don't know how old they are. I have been elevating in end of the carton and rotating it.

I have a question. Will it be ok to leave hatching eggs on my counter for a few days so I can make sure my styrofoam incubator holds temp and humidity. I bought these eggs at the Newcastle auction lastnight and they don't have a date at all so I don't know how old they are. I have been elevating in end of the carton and rotating it.

They should be fine. Assuming the person gathered them this past week...you can hold eggs successfully for 10 days. I've even hatched some at 15.

@nanakat Sorry if I missed it but what ended up happening with your eggs and Miracle?

We ended up with 7 hatching! Miracle is doing great. It is half the size of the other bantams and fast as a rabbit!

[@=/u/142616/lonnyandrinda]@lonnyandrinda[/@] I love the coloring of that legbar roo. How are the young pair you got from greenfire? I remember LOVING their coloring. Also congrats on the show! And that spitz is adorable! :)

[@=/u/275164/vanahjeane]@vanahjeane[/@] that looks more green than blue to me. So pretty!

They are doing well, I was going to take my Rees cockerel with me to the show but when I went to wash him up he had lice eggs pretty bad up under his tail.  :(   Decided to leave him home this time.  I'm on round 3 of treating all the birds 10 days apart as of tonight.  Finally remembered to buy some permithrin spray so I can treat the coops too this time.

Congratulations on your placings...pretty birds?

Mites have been bad here with all the starlings and sparrows! I've been treating individual pens and finally decided it was time to mass treat everything!

I entered only two silkies.  Got BV with my splash cockerel (he was the only one) and BV and BB with my black pullet.   There were only about 9 or 10 silkies but at least four of them were birds that had done well in previous shows--one even placed feather leg RV in Shawnee in December.  I was very happy, but it would have meant more if there had been more birds entered.    It was a fairly small, but very nicely done show.  This was this clubs third show only, but I think well worth attending.  The flea market was well laid out and had a lot of stuff as well.  I also sold all my silkies.  The sale room was quite sparse because not many people had poultry ready to sell at this time of year.  I plan to participate again.

I got to see Cuban Longtails, Lonny and Rinda, Kelli and her husband and beautiful kids, Carl, and a quite a few silkie and other chicken people I've become acquainted with through the years.

I've never seen a Serama show before--the birds weren't judged with the others, but completely separately, as judging is completely different for them.  It was very entertaining.  There are several classes based mostly on size and feathering, and color isn't supposed to matter at all. It was very entertaining.  One of the things that is judged is behavior--the spunkier the better, so the owners were making calls, movements and noises of various kinds to get their birds to be perky--and they were!  That judging took much longer than the rest of the show. 

Congratulations on your wins and your sales. You gave a lovely description of the day's events too. I bet it was nice to see some of the oldtimers too.

Last edited:
They should be fine. Assuming the person gathered them this past week...you can hold eggs successfully for 10 days. I've even hatched some at 15.

X2 Better a day or two waiting and one or two lost due to age, than throwing them all away due to bad temps, or hatching babies with birth defects.

Yesterday I posted on FB to see if anybody wanted my Buff Brahma Bantams for a 4H project. They're SO gorgeous, Buffy and three show-stopping boys. I just don't have the time to show them. So today I found Buffy hiding from Stratus, my enormous Ameraucana roo... and she didn't look like she was feeling well. I brought her in, and she just seized and died. I'm pretty sure he mounted her, and probably hurt her. Poor little girl. He's not mean, or even horribly rough, he's just so stinking BIG.

I now have three show-worthy roos, and they need to go. If I can't find a home for them, I'll be finding somebody who will process them humanely. I hate doing it, but I have too many roos, and Bumpers had a bloody back the other morning. I'm pretty sure they gave it to her, and we all know that's not going to work for me.

Anybody want them?

Last edited:
Auto-sexing question for you gurus...
Will mating two similarly auto-sexing breeds result in sexable chicks at hatch? Rhodebars and Cream Legbars for instance? I am months away, but I have a quartet of rhodebars chicks and two CCL baby girls. I thought it would be neat to house them together.

I need help as quickly as possible.

I have a guinea fowl who has really bad bumble foot. He wasn't limping but the others were cornering him, which they will do when one appears to be weak. I'd noticed some swelling on the top of one ankle, but he was very hard to catch and wasn't limping, so I didn't really worry about it. I was finally able to catch and examine him, and he has multiple pockets of infection on both feet and his hocks. The points of entry of the infection were not on the bottoms of his feet, but rather, on the sides and tops of toes. Most appeared to have traveled internally rather than from injuries. I've "operated" on him several times, to get as much of the infection out as I could. I've soaked his feet in Epsom salts, and after removing the infection slathered Neosporin on all the opened places--pretty much all over his feet and legs. There were no hard cores. I've treated them every day for around a week, and they are much, much better. I've also put the poultry antibiotic I have on hand in his water all that time. I'm handling him very carefully, with gloves on and a lot of disinfectant.

Was talking to another chicken person in Norman Saturday, and she said I needed penicillin that I could get at Atwoods, because bumble foot is a staph infection. I knew it was staph, but didn't know I could get penicillin. I got the penicillin today, but have no idea what dosage to inject. I've not injected any of my poultry, but used to give my own allergy injections, so should have no trouble once I now how much, how often, and how long.

In the meantime, his appetite continues to be very good and he's completely alert. Doesn't want me to come near him, however (can you blame him?).

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Betsy,
Last summer, I had a chubby RIR hen that had a case of bumblefoot. I had to treat her several times with surgery. It was not until I got the chunky, hard kernel out, that I finally, really achieved the goal. She got better each time, from the penicillin, and the removal of the staph itself, but, she never healed, until I got that kernel out. My wife and I were both absolutely amazed, at the amount of debredement, that came out of her foot that final time. We both realized, that it was far more deep and serious, than we ever imagined, the first few times that we had performed the surgery. The incision was dressed daily, with gauze and Neosporin. Once surgery was complete, she got 1cc of penicillin daily. Rotating from breast to thigh to opposite breast to opposite thigh, then back again, for two weeks. She was then isolated an additional two weeks, after being taken off of all antibiotics.
She is healthy and happy, now, and lays beautiful, jumbo brown eggs. But, last summer, she earned her nickname Gimpy.

Thank you so much for the information. I'll start injecting the penicillin today. Not sure I'm up to keeping him in the house another two weeks or more, though. An adult guinea gets pretty stinky pretty fast. However, if I let him loose anywhere, I'll have a terrible time catching him to treat him. Guineas are much harder to work with than chickens! I had looked up bumble foot on the internet and it showed how to do the surgery, but there wasn't ever a hard core that I could find any trace of. There was nothing connected to skin, but there was a lot of infection. Maybe it was a very aggressive infection and he hadn't had it long enough for the core to harden.

Back
Top Bottom