***OKIES in the BYC III ***

My rooster is not acting himself. He is a very predictable crower (same time, every day). He has not crowed at all, not once, since yesterday. I have seen him eating, drinking fine - no coughing or wheezing or discharge coming from anywhere - I have not seen him poop to check it - but he does seem lethargic, he is keeping to himself and not chasing the girls which is unusual. Any ideas? Anything I should give him?

Might isolate him, put him on electrolyes/vitamins, and give him a dose of dewormer? Keep an eye on him for a couple of days at least and see if any other symptoms develop. That's what I would do anyway.

My rooster is not acting himself. He is a very predictable crower (same time, every day). He has not crowed at all, not once, since yesterday. I have seen him eating, drinking fine - no coughing or wheezing or discharge coming from anywhere - I have not seen him poop to check it - but he does seem lethargic, he is keeping to himself and not chasing the girls which is unusual. Any ideas? Anything I should give him?

Might isolate him, put him on electrolyes/vitamins, and give him a dose of dewormer?  Keep an eye on him for a couple of days at least and see if any other symptoms develop.  That's what I would do anyway.

And check him for mites. Wild birds are bringing them to the coops.

I agree with Oldcampcook. I would pass on the Oklahoma breeder who "can't disclose that information" about where he obtained the bloodline for the breed you seek. Either he really doesn't know the source of the bloodline or is perhaps a breeder that has purchased his stock from a hatchery that won't disclose the bloodline.
In either case, if knowing the source is important to your breeding plans, pay the shipping on a known source.

Do you have guineas? What is the going price for fertile Guinea eggs for hatching?

On some very fluffy breeds, like cochins and English orps, there is so much "butt fluff" the rooster doesn't make contact when he mates which leads to low fertility in the eggs in feven though he's doing his job.

I have been wondering if I would have fertility trouble with my Orpingtons. I took my first tray out of the hatcher today. Of 29 Orpngton eggs 26 were fertile. So far I have 14 Chocolate Cuckoos and 6 Mauve Cuckoos and 4 more are drying in the hatcher and looks like there were 2 quitters.
[/IMG]

Last edited:

I hope he is ok! My Blue Cockerel, Misha, is his son. Misha tried to intimidate me today so I had to pick him up and hug him. I was shocked, he is usually such a love bug.
All my boys have been very active lately. Must be Spring.

Last edited:
Might isolate him, put him on electrolyes/vitamins, and give him a dose of dewormer?  Keep an eye on him for a couple of days at least and see if any other symptoms develop.  That's what I would do anyway.

You are always so helpful Rinda, I REALLY appreciate it!

I hope he is ok! My Blue Cockerel, Misha, is his son. Misha tried to intimidate me today so I had to pick him up and hug him. I was shocked, he is usually such a love bug.
All my boys have been very active lately. Must be Spring.

He did crow a couple times this morning so hopefully he's on the up & up - hard to know what to do to help when it's just their behavior that is visibly off.

I agree with Oldcampcook. I would pass on the Oklahoma breeder who "can't disclose that information" about where he obtained the bloodline for the breed you seek. Either he really doesn't know the source of the bloodline or is perhaps a breeder that has purchased his stock from a hatchery that won't disclose the bloodline.
In either case, if knowing the source is important to your breeding plans, pay the shipping on a known source.

Do you have guineas? What is the going price for fertile Guinea eggs for hatching?

No, I haven't had Guineas in years.

Back
Top Bottom