***OKIES in the BYC III ***

At last check, there are 66,529 posts in just this "Okies in the BYC III" thread. Instead of wading through all of them, I'll just ask: Is there a local (Norman area) group of backyard chicken owners who offer educational/informational meetings or mentor newbies? I'd like to pick some brains and look at some set-ups before I spend the money to build a coop and take on a new responsibility. I've read the ordinance and realize I'm limited to 4 hens and the restrictions on the size and locations of the coop.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Jay

dunnmom, that run looks great! All my chicken pens are in mostly shade, and I rarely have any trouble with chickens overly stressed by heat. It is essential that they have water at all times in any case. Sometimes I add ice cubes to their water and occasionally I'll water down the area around their pens to cool it off some.

I like it, and I'm also trying to share pics of whatever he builds because he's trying really hard to get jobs doing outdoor building projects and landscaping.

Well, here's the run I've been nagging my hubs to build. Now he just has to attach it to the coop and do some predator proofing. It sure looks good, and the chickens are enjoying more room and nearly all day shade.
Your husband did a great job!

At last check, there are 66,529 posts in just this "Okies in the BYC III" thread. Instead of wading through all of them, I'll just ask: Is there a local (Norman area) group of backyard chicken owners who offer educational/informational meetings or mentor newbies? I'd like to pick some brains and look at some set-ups before I spend the money to build a coop and take on a new responsibility. I've read the ordinance and realize I'm limited to 4 hens and the restrictions on the size and locations of the coop.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Jay

Something I wish I had known before building our first coop, in our area they don't need much protection at all from our winters. The NEED protection from our summers, so lots of ventilation

Something I wish I'd known before getting chickens is how much more they'd cost than I'd first estimated. Mostly on the supplies. We were able to use almost all reclaimed wood for their coop and run. We used all new hardware, and stained them. There's been other small incidental costs along the way, an elevated water bill, and one chicken death. I'd say the 9 chickens might pay themselves off in eggs in a little over a year, but we shall have to see what happens. Lol! I have no regrets, though.

At last check, there are 66,529 posts in just this "Okies in the BYC III" thread.  Instead of wading through all of them, I'll just ask: Is there a local (Norman area) group of backyard
chicken owners who offer educational/informational
meetings or mentor newbies?  I'd like to pick some brains and look at some set-ups before I spend the money to build a coop and take on a new responsibility.  I've read the ordinance and realize I'm limited to 4 hens and the restrictions on the size and locations of the coop.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Jay
Like Dunnmom stated, the cost is the biggest set back. Smaller the flock the harder it'll be to make up. But from your restrictions I'm guessing this is going to be more for pets. The sheer joy received of raising them out ways the cost. Be prepared because everything will be more than you plan for especially chickens. It's addicting and adds up fast whether for pets or production.

If you do a search on coops, you will get hundreds of ideas for housing and runs.

Pick what you like and make sure it is tall enough for you to enter without stooping, there is shade from sun, protection from drafts, ventilation, good structure and roofing, a nest box for easily collecting eggs, cover for the feed, plenty of clean water and protection from predators.

The outside pen should be somewhat sparrow proof....like 1/2 inch by 1 inch wire screen. Sparrows can get thru the one inch chicken wire and steal food as well as drop disease. Voles, rats, Hawks...etc like chicken too.

Back
Top Bottom