***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I love my backyard chickens. They've been a great addition to our family, even though they haven't started laying eggs yet. I realized I wanted to get some when my two autistic sons became enamored with the chickens my friend had on her acreage. Watching them chase those chickens was a peaceful spot in all the chaos. Suddenly, all the stress of the daily meltdowns and frustrations paled in comparison to the joy on their little faces. I love caring for the chickens as well, watching them grow, and listening to their chicken language. My sons with autism happen to be semi-verbal and sometimes also use their own language to communicate. The kids love feeding treats and petting their fluffy feathers. It's cheaper than therapy. We have a household of seven and a super-tight budget, so the eggs will be a big bonus. My hubs won't admit it, but he loves the chickens, too. I've caught him holding, talking to, and petting them when he thinks no one is watching.

Here are a few pics of some of the chickens, these are mostly to show size between the NN and the cross girls. @Poco Pollo

These two are the same age.

I have 4 cross girls, 2 bigger 2 smaller, this is one of each.

I love this ones face

This cross girl is the same age as the smaller nn

Same here, except Beautimous the one w/ the blurred head, she is older by 1.5 months or so

Welcome to all the new folks.

The majority of my flock is Wyandotte. The other breeds are Cochin, Buckeye, Australorp, Black Sex Link, and Delaware Bantam as well asOEGB and Rosecomb Bantams with a sprinkling of Serama. These have all been great as layers and meat varieties and have tolerated the heat nicely.

Paola and Soapshield work nicely on Squash bugs.

Welcome to all the new folks.

The majority of my flock is Wyandotte. The other breeds are Cochin, Buckeye, Australorp, Black Sex Link, and Delaware Bantam as well asOEGB and Rosecomb Bantams with a sprinkling of Serama. These have all been great as layers and meat varieties and have tolerated the heat nicely.

Paola and Soapshield work nicely on Squash bugs.
Where might I find buckeyes?

Back
Top Bottom