***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Saturday we picked 2.5 gallons of blackberries off our DNA vines in the pasture...named so because the thorns collect DNA from whoever picks them. Roger has kept these watered by using the scoop on the big tractor to haul water from the ponds.

A 1/4 inch of rain last night helped wash the dust off the grass and plant leaves...hopefully the 80% chance for rain tonight will drop some here, otherwise I'll have to resort to my naked rain dance! That should make Mother Nature laugh so hard that her eyes will run tears.

Checking on the cows this morning, we crested a rise on the back 40 and surprised five young coyote pups frolicking in the grass. Our dogs started barking and the pups ran thru the barb wire fence to the neighbor's 160. Mom must have been close by because she yelped to the pups. Guess we will be more on guard in the next few seasons. Any that come close to the barn and pens will be shot on sight. We have lost two newborn calves and several birds to coyotes this past year.
Predators that eat what they are supposed to eat are not a threat, but those that affect the bottom line by killing livestock won't be tolerated.

Hope everyone has a great July 4th and stays safe if celebrating with fireworks.

Saturday we picked 2.5 gallons of blackberries off our DNA vines in the pasture...named so because the thorns collect DNA from whoever picks them. Roger has kept these watered by using the scoop on the big tractor to haul water from the ponds.

A 1/4 inch of rain last night helped wash the dust off the grass and plant leaves...hopefully the 80% chance for rain tonight will drop some here, otherwise I'll have to resort to my naked rain dance! That should make Mother Nature laugh so hard that her eyes will run tears.

Checking on the cows this morning, we crested a rise on the back 40 and surprised five young coyote pups frolicking in the grass. Our dogs started barking and the pups ran thru the barb wire fence to the neighbor's 160. Mom must have been close by because she yelped to the pups. Guess we will be more on guard in the next few seasons. Any that come close to the barn and pens will be shot on sight. We have lost two newborn calves and several birds to coyotes this past year.
Predators that eat what they are supposed to eat are not a threat, but those that affect the bottom line by killing livestock won't be tolerated.

Hope everyone has a great July 4th and stays safe if celebrating with fireworks.
Hope y'all got some rain and not just wind this evening. Didn't do much at my place but I'll take whatever I can get this time of year

We've had the last several rains go within 10 miles north or south of us and I went to watering again. Got 3 inches Sat night and another inch on Sun. Not sure how much last night. A little to much in 24 hrs.

Hope y'all got some rain and not just wind this evening. Didn't do much at my place but I'll take whatever I can get this time of year

We did get 1.75 inches of rain Sunday...so thankful for that!! The winds were pretty strong but south of us got 5 inches and had much harder winds and loads of lightening.

I'd never thought of tractor watering. I learned something and will put it to good use. DNA vines! lol. We always called those vines with the big thorns "wait a minute" vines.

Butchered some unwanted roosters with my buddy yesterday. He had asked me to come and teach him.
I got a great surprise with his 2 young teen daughters joining us voluntarily and getting hands on! One even offed 2 of the roosters. None were keen on the gutting but they didn't hesitate at anything else.
They wernt to sure bout any of it and we talked bout the way it made them feel. I reassured them that was a good thing. If not you might be a little off lol. It's about getting thru it to accomplish a goal.
I'm very proud of them. It's a life lesson that teaches where real food comes from, hard dirty, hot work and the value of life learned when you take a life by hand.

I noticed today that a few of my birds have cracks in their beaks. They aren't broken off, so I know I can do a sort of repair job on them. Here's my question: How do you immobilize a chicken for such a delicate procedure? I watched videos on chicken hypnosis, but I'm afraid they'd wake up while I'm putting the glue on. Any ideas? I'd like to stress them out as little as possible, while getting them as still as possible.

Back
Top Bottom