***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Awesome to hear the Yukon Auction went well, considering trying it in April. Sounds like chicks bring better money for sellers at the other auctions though. I am sure prices will go as the auction gains a following.
I imagine hen prices are cheaper on Craigslist than at auction, if you check ads frequently. Hens get cheaper in July when we are all fighting to keep them alive through summer.
I consider atwoods chicks to be impulse buys. It is hard to make it out of there if they have something super cute that calls out your name.

Beautiful pics Kass. Your Pebbles looks like my Attica. Glad to know it's flowering down south of here. Another week or so and maybe we'll get some too! No rain for us, not even thunder or lightening or anything. Guess that's good though. Baby turkeys can go out again today and maybe we'll get their pen moved today so no more brooder light running up the electric bill. They are getting bolder out in the yard and ran off the cat yesterday in a mob. Lol. Got the melon bed planted yesterday and covered with a mini greenhouse, onions are planted finally, and straw bales are ready for the squash complete with nastrutiums planted all around to hopefully help with the squash bugs. Think I may have broken something in my foot yesterday tripping over a brick. I can hardly walk today. Guess I'll limp through it. Hope everyone has a good day.

Well I finally broke down and bought guineas! I was determined they would not be on the place but ticks were coming out all over the place! It is awful! So my parents found some on craigslist and drove over to get them for me. Afterwards they called to say they bought them from Oakieridge!! LOL I love how small a world it is sometimes. They are yelling in their pen as I type. Hope they get to eating soon!

Erin I hope you get to feeling better soon. I was in a car accident a few weeks ago and I'm still limping on two broken toes. Note to self: Do not ride with your foot on the dash!!! Lesson learned.

I am looking to add a Salmon Faverolle pair to my flock. Anybody have a pair they would like to part with? OOH and some Barnavelders!
Shellie

just remember that faverolles tend to be so docile they might end up at the bottom of the flock order- i adore them- i have one bantam girl, are you looking for standards? check this thread, might be someone close
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/268082/faverolles-thread

the difference in getting a chick at a feed store is yes impulse buying, but also, hatchery birds aren't the quality- depends on your needs- breeder birds are healthier too

Today was such a beautiful day that my husband, daughter and myself decided to let our brood out to enjoy the weather. We now have ten 6 week olds and 6 3 week olds. My husband cut up some grapes and gave them to the older group. They just love em. It was like watching a school of sharks in a feeding frenzy. Our little ones don't seem to like grapes as of yet. We integrated the two groups together for the last hour of outside time. We didn't have a problem. I was worried that the little ones would get picked on, but they were all very social. I wish this weather would stay. Stupid cold fronts. We might have to try the Yukon auction also if prices are so cheap. (pun intended.)

The group get together sounds neat.  DH and I haven't been to one before.  What kind of stuff goes on chicken wise?

Some yrs have been orginized with events, such as chicken processing. Other yrs just bring birds / eggs you want to sell or trade & anything else - like chicken jewelry, homemade preserves.

On Okc CL in farm- garden section 10x10 dog kennel for $100. Ad title says dog cage. Sounds like the perfect chicken yard to me.

Last edited:
Beautiful pics Kass. Your Pebbles looks like my Attica. Glad to know it's flowering down south of here. Another week or so and maybe we'll get some too! No rain for us, not even thunder or lightening or anything. Guess that's good though. Baby turkeys can go out again today and maybe we'll get their pen moved today so no more brooder light running up the electric bill. They are getting bolder out in the yard and ran off the cat yesterday in a mob. Lol. Got the melon bed planted yesterday and covered with a mini greenhouse, onions are planted finally, and straw bales are ready for the squash complete with nastrutiums planted all around to hopefully help with the squash bugs. Think I may have broken something in my foot yesterday tripping over a brick. I can hardly walk today. Guess I'll limp through it. Hope everyone has a good day.
Nasturtiums for squash bugs? I'm going to try them. I have grown them in the past because I think they are pretty and easy to grow, (if you soak the seeds) and you can eat the flowers. They have a mild peppery taste.

Monty, Buckguy and one of the founders of POOPS, called today. He is having trouble getting on BYC,. He can read but isn't able to post right now. He has been taking care of his parents. His mom had a heart attack in February and he has been staying with them to care for them. He has been extremely busy.

We talked about a possible get-together. POOPS has usually been held on a Saturday around the end of April or the beginig of May. I don't know if I can hold a swap at our place but I will look into other options. I am pretty busy but may be able to get a location like at the park in Choctaw where it was held last year and if others take care of any special activities we might just have a PEEPS or some kind of chicken party. Several nice folks have offered to help and that will make all the difference.

Back
Top Bottom