***OKIES in the BYC III ***

i have a question.. at first we will be just having duel purpose birds for eggs and meat for ourselves and a few other family members. but we will eventually start to hatch chicks as well and i am sure will have an abundance more often than not, so is it a necessity to get NPIP or is it better to just sell on craigslist and here to people who want them. they will most likely be mutt chickens in all reality when we start breeding. so is NPIP really that big of a deal? what are the pros and cons of being NPIP vs non-NPIP? thank you in advance for the info.

I have 3 jersey giant hens and a Ameracuana rooster. I'm so excited, just got 2 young Rhode Island Red hens. They will lay in a month or so. We have them separated bc when we put them in the big pen, the rooster chased them around and we were scared he would hurt them. How can I integrate them into my small flock?

Last edited:
I love the name you have chosen btw. There are a lot of good dual purpose breeds. You may even think about more than just one breed. Have you thought about naked necks?

Thanks! The name seemed appropriate, we homebirth, homeschool, homechurch and now we're homesteading
big_smile.png
I have not come across naked necks in my searching. Are they doing well for you?

I would love to live off grid, and run a self sustaining farm. I have to not have a job to even come close to that. Its a lot of work. Which im all for, but working 50+ hours a week and taking care of my little girls in the evenings while my wife is at work. I couldn't possibly take on any more then I do already which is quite a bit, lol

i have a question.. at first we will be just having duel purpose birds for eggs and meat for ourselves and a few other family members. but we will eventually start to hatch chicks as well and i am sure will have an abundance more often than not, so is it a necessity to get NPIP or is it better to just sell on craigslist and here to people who want them. they will most likely be mutt chickens in all reality when we start breeding. so is NPIP really that big of a deal? what are the pros and cons of being NPIP vs non-NPIP? thank you in advance for the info. 
what is NPIP?

NPIP- National Poultry Improvement Plan- is a program to keep bird diseases from being spread through the sale of poultry. Unless you plan to ship chickens, chicks, or eggs it is not a big deal. It is tricky to stay NPIP if you like to bring in new birds though. Any new birds have to either come from NPIP flocks or be tested by someone state certified to do the testing. If you like to buy hatching eggs they must come from NPIP flocks. It is a real pain in the neck. BUT it is the law to have NPIP certification (and sometimes other requirements, too- varies by state) to ship chickens. In Oklahoma they test for Pullorum/Typhoid and Avian Flu. It is easy to get set up and tested and only $5 to test all your birds, but if you like to buy and sell chickens it's going to be a pain unless you take the class to become a tester yourself. Each state chooses which diseases to test for and charges differently.

ETA: It has been interesting the shipments I have sent. I've shipped 6 week olds to California (easy), a box of chicks to Alaska (easy but nerve wracking), and in a few weeks hatching eggs to Hawaii (a PAIN in the rear- have to get a special import permit!)

I have 3 jersey giant hens and a Ameracuana rooster. I'm so excited, just got 2 young Rhode Island Red hens. They will lay in a month or so. We have them separated bc when we put them in the big pen, the rooster chased them around and we were scared he would hurt them. How can I integrate them into my small flock?

The best time to integrate is at night, just slip the new ones in on the roost next to the older ones while everyone is half asleep. There will be some tousles the next day while they sort out their pecking order. Ideally the younger ones should be about 3/4 the size of the older ones.

Last edited:
Thank you very much! I wrote more of a thank you in the other thread i posted in, that you answered there as well. it was a very big help. :)
NPIP- National Poultry Improvement Plan- is a program to keep bird diseases from being spread through the sale of poultry. Unless you plan to ship chickens, chicks, or eggs it is not a big deal. It is tricky to stay NPIP if you like to bring in new birds though. Any new birds have to either come from NPIP flocks or be tested by someone state certified to do the testing. If you like to buy hatching eggs they must come from NPIP flocks. It is a real pain in the neck. BUT it is the law to have NPIP certification (and sometimes other requirements, too- varies by state) to ship chickens. In Oklahoma they test for Pullorum/Typhoid and Avian Flu. It is easy to get set up and tested and only $5 to test all your birds, but if you like to buy and sell chickens it's going to be a pain unless you take the class to become a tester yourself. Each state chooses which diseases to test for and charges differently.

ETA: It has been interesting the shipments I have sent. I've shipped 6 week olds to California (easy), a box of chicks to Alaska (easy but nerve wracking), and in a few weeks hatching eggs to Hawaii (a PAIN in the rear- have to get a special import permit!)

Welcome! Love your name and know the meaning behind it too!
I make sure they have a constant supply of water and lots of shade. I am also hooking up a misting system to help keep them cool since chickens can't sweat. Mine free range with my ducks and I have a kiddy pool in the shade for cool water. I add water too it several times during the day. I have lots of big trees and bushes for them to rest and keep cool under. Everyone is so helpful on here.

Back
Top Bottom