***OKIES in the BYC III ***

@Kyzmette, I'll give you my bottle of Vetericyn to use on them when I meet you tomorrow morning to give you your oxine.

How is the silkie mix doing with the scaly leg mite treatment?

She's doing better, but I may not be meeting you. I'm still running 102, and if I go in with a fever again, they might lynch me.

I will have Easter Eggers in the spring, as well as a bunch of other breeds- Cream Legbars, Isbars, Black Copper Marans, Exchequer Leghorns, Jubilee Orpingtons, Double Laced BBS Barnevelders, EEs, Olive Eggers, and sexlinks. Right now I'm on the east side of Tulsa but I am moving to Coweta this month. I don't have anything right now between the natural slowdown in eggs and downsizing for the move.
Ahhh... keep in touch with me this spring! I don't need any more babies for a while as we very quickly went from a 2 chicken family to a 10 chicken family. But I've already decided I NEED some blue and green egg layers. Need.

Kass, praying for your little niece and family.

Our niece lost her baby yesterday... two weeks before delivery. Had to have a c-section. The placenta stopped growing at 32 weeks causing the baby to stop growing. We are just reeling from this.

Nana, whatever you do don't fall! (stay out of the shadows and don't blink either just for good measure)
lau.gif
Sorry I couldn't resist some of you will get that! you know who you are
cool.png
Hehehe! I totally got that reference. I love Doctor Who and am considering paying for a subscription to the BBC just so I can watch Who and Downton Abby, that is a great show, as well.

Good morning!
Hey Buster long time, no post. It is definitely homecoming week!

They are fluffy because of Cowboy, my Black roo from Grace. He is a wonderful bird. In the first picture he is in with the hens that were the mothers of the Self-Blues in the pictures posted yesterday. In one generation he improved the type imensely.

That roo has an attitude.... hehehe! Or is it "I'm sexy and I know it"?
lau.gif

Hi every one hadn't ben on in a wile its hard to stay on because it nocks me off an i have to start over agaiin. BUTBack yard chickens is my fav injoyd reading aall the post
Hey Michael! Glad to see you on the board...
I believe any engergizer will work, just look for one with the equivalent joules as the model they recommend on their website. I am buying the one on their site because it's easier and seems to be an average price as I looked around the web for a few minutes. Theirs comes with directions to either hook to a battery (I assume like a car battery) or to plug in to an extension cord. They even give guidelines on their product description for how long to expect a battery to last with each type of energizer.

ETA: you can also set up their energizers with a solar panel, which was an attractive option until I looked at the price of the solar panels- yikes! We'll start with electricity!
Check Harbor Freight. They sell solar panels and inverters pretty cheap and have sales regularly. Doc and I like to look through the catalog and drool over the tools when they come in the mail.. hehehe!

What do you guys do when a predator pulls skin off one of your chickens? How do you treat?

I thought the neighbors and I had reached some peace and they were keeping their demon dachshund tied up. I didn't take the rain into account, and how getting wet would obviously be SO MUCH WORSE than making sure he wasn't over here killing my chickies.

It wasn't a good day. I don't think Caramel will make it this time, and Puff is nowhere to be seen.
hugs.gif
Sorry about your hens. I sent you a PM.

I have had troublesome non chicken news today. We don't know anything for sure yet, so may be borrowing trouble. But my 3 y/o niece has some symptoms that could be lymphoma cancer. So much so that the Dr's are running tests to rule it out. We won't know for a week or two, but her pediatrician told my brother (and wife) to be prepared it is most likely "not good"
fl.gif
Prayers for your niece and your family!

Hello Oklahoma! Ooof its chilly this morning! I am so glad someone started this thread! I am brand new to BYC and also to the chicken world. I am officially obsessed and want to learn so much more and also meet some locals that I might be able to talk to if I have any questions about our new feathered children. We actually are just finishing up on the coop and will be getting our hens from our neighbor who has around 65 chickens. We are getting five hens and one rooster from him but now I am bit by the bug and want to find some more "fancy" chickens to add to our family. With all this my question is where in Oklahoma can I find a breeder who sells easter eggers or chickens that lay the olive or chocolate colored eggs? Im so new to this forgive me for not remembering the names of these breeds. I promise my lack of knowing breeds wont make me lack on caring for them so if you refer anyone these chickens are going to be very well cared for.
thumbsup.gif
I look forward to talking to you all here! Hope everyone has a great day!
welcome-byc.gif

Hey fellow Okies! Thought I'd say hey from norman. Everyone keep warm and hope your feathered babies don't mind the chill today.
Id tell everyone all my breeds but I had a coyote pack somehow get into my pen and... Well yeah nothing left except for the few youngsters I have inside. So I am starting from scratch:/ such a pain. Definitely going to take care of the coyotes around especially since we have a ton of horses, don't want to risk any more mishaps!
Hi katie1500!
frow.gif
We live just southeast of Norman in the Little Axe area.

It is that time of year folks!!! Keep your feathered butts protected, the times I have been hit have been in September and October.

Good Morning!!!

Glad to see things never change. I have decide that the BYC is the reason I had so many chickens!!! I am already drooling over pictures you guys are posting.

Kass is that the only one with that type of a comb? I forget the breed that has that type but I wanted some a few years back just because of the comb. When it comes to me I will post it.

NanaKat I am so sorry to hear that. I can't even begin to understand. My thoughts & prayers.

Sad to say nothing will stop that dog except lead or the owner putting it up. They don't do it to eat the meat, it is the chase. My own dogs kill chickens if they escape the back yard. They never eat them. I have done all the things to try to break them.....I did have one dog (golden lab) that I was able to break but she had only killed once & she was a very smart dog.

Nana, so sorry for your family's loss, that is just horrible!

Sooner yes it is the first one out of any of the hatches to get a comb like that. You may be thinking of the LaFletch breed. Polish also have a v comb, and the houdans in the US were bred from v combed, this chick is 1/4 houdan.

I might have to break out my book of standards but the bird I am thinking of isn't a v comb, it looks like horns.......Not enough coffee yet.

Back
Top Bottom