***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Could somebody going to the caponizing clinic pm me Coral's street address? I can't read it on the image on my phone.

Bought a Ginger colored Silkie last night at the Newcastle Auction. I was told it was a Roo but it looks like a hen. Well If it is a Roo I will put him with the Black hen. Think it might produce Partridge colors.

First one's out!!!!!
jumpy.gif
Dark skin and very naked necked (at least from what I can see) She is a daughter (
fl.gif
power of positive thinking) of one of the hoodas.
Whoot! Whoot!

Her debut appearance on BYC

OMG!!! Is she stinking cute!!! Now those I could handle because it is like a silkie. Just cannot handle the red skin. Freaks me out!!! If you get anymore pullets like her I would love to add one to my layer flock...
fl.gif

What a great photo of the newest addition kassundra!

We were doing well all winter until about a month ago when we were dipping below in the negative teens n a few days negative 20s then the roosters started dying n then the one hen. So ready for spring.... minus the muddy aspects of it when the ground defrosts. Hahaha
Hey Jeannie! Glad you all survived the winter up there. Sorry to hear about your roosters not making it. I think we all lost some birds this winter. I lost four, two being bourbon red hens but actually only one was cold related. Is the weather getting warmer up there? It is still back and forth here. Going to plant late this year to miss the freeze.

We'll the Newcastle auction was standing room only. The eggs and chicks alone took 3 1/2 hours to sell! I'm heading out and they still haven't gotten to grown birds. There was a great selection of all the breeds as well.
Hey Amy! They actually got to the adult birds around 9:30. The prices were crazy high but have been for a while now.. I think it is because so many hobby farmers are getting into chickens..

Does anyone need to thin their laying flock? Mine was wiped out by a dog :( , all but one. Luckily my daughters birds were in a different pen, but now all my layers are gone. Sucks it takes sooo long to get them to FIANALLY start laying. Anyways I need some young hens if anyone has too many shoot me prices. I know I missed Newcastles auction tonight, does Blanchard have one next weekend?
Sorry to hear about your flock! That sucks!!!
hugs.gif
Most of us have been there. doesn't make it any easier. Blanchard is having an auction next Saturday. There is one in Harrah next Friday I think and Maud auction is every Thursday but be really careful because the birds are often times sick there. So make sure you quarantine the birds for at least 4 weeks. Check Craigslist I have seen more birds posted there in the last few weeks.

Bought a Ginger colored Silkie last night at the Newcastle Auction. I was told it was a Roo but it looks like a hen. Well If it is a Roo I will put him with the Black hen. Think it might produce Partridge colors.
Still think you got a hen. Just saying!

Dang, this wind here in Broken Arrow is strong, just hoping and praying no power outage, since I have chicks hatching today..
fl.gif

how is your hatch going??
pics???

I was up most the night with Jacob, i thought it would be his last, 5 month old silkie, has been battling something where some days he could walk, other days he couldn't, so last night i began vitamins, b complex and asprin in crumble broth- about every half hour a drop at a time - 3 droppers full at a time- so this morning he was much more alert, and he is actually eating scrambled egg breakfast with me this morning... no tremors or convulsions so far

how is your hatch going??
pics???

I was up most the night with Jacob, i thought it would be his last, 5 month old silkie, has been battling something where some days he could walk, other days he couldn't, so last night i began vitamins, b complex and asprin in crumble broth- about every half hour a drop at a time - 3 droppers full at a time- so this morning he was much more alert, and he is actually eating scrambled egg breakfast with me this morning... no tremors or convulsions so far
Sorry to hear about little Jacob, hope he gets better. My hatch is going really good so far, I have 4 SLW hatched and more piped and 2 standard cochins hatched and more piped, so hope it continues going good.

Sure wish Spring would settle down instead of dancing with Old Man Winter. we had a nice few days and now have rain, frigid temperatures and high cold winds today.
My jonquil blooms are being whipped to shreds, the garden is soaked, the cabbage are loosing leaves and the chickens decided not to come out of their coops....smart birds.
The poor Purple Martins that arrived three days ago are holed up in their gourds. I put meal worms and scrambled eggs out for them this morning on their feeding platform and saw several sampling.
The two wild geese who return to the farm each Spring showed up four days ago and began picking out a nest spot by one of several ponds, but they demanded food in their tractor tire feeder by the pasture gate. Lucy and Goosey have nested and raised young here for going on 14 years. They are hunkered down between the hay bales in the storage lot.
Thankful for the rain, but wishing for sunshine!

Oh and chicks are hatching under a broody Delaware Bantam today and also in the incubator.
So how many of us are hatching today?

Robyn..glad Jacob is improving.

We ended up getting 10 chicks last Sunday from Atwoods. So far so good! The kids love taking care of them. I'll post some pics later, I can't get them to post from my phone.

Back
Top Bottom