***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Hi all,
Just got 15 chicks delivered from MyPetChicken, 5 EE, 5 Buff Orps, and 5 Golden Buff pullets. Got em in the brooder, they got here fast! Shipped yesterday, and picked up from the OKC Mail distribution center about 2 hours ago. They are all eating, drinking and cheeping, so far so good. I"ve been lurking since I ordered my chicks about 3 weeks ago, and will go pick up my tractor and run in a couple of weeks. Will update as more happens. Happy chickening!

Quote:
I'm 30 miles north of Tulsa, in Skiatook. @hotcurltr asked for Floyd first, so she has first dibs, but if she can't take him I'd be happy to give him to you. I'm just not sure how we'd get him to your area. Well, that was the wrong quote, but I sure hope you understood it anyway! :p

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
to all the new folks!!

I'll be getting a few muskovy hens tonight!
D.gif
fly and rodent deterrents! Anyone had them before? Will they be ok with the bantams? I will have them in a sectioned off area- hopefully they will put a dent in the rodents i keep seeing

@hotcurltr last nite grettle got out, i was trying to close the hatch- its dusk, and she heads straight for a tree in the run, before that she has a showdown with a guinea- there is no backing down with that girl, she won the stand off, i nudge her out of the tree, she goes back to the guineas where i grab her leg, she cusses me out and back home to sonny and ginger...
Robin, I raise Muscovy ducks, and yes they are great deterrents. If you process one in the summer you will find them full of flys. They supposedly got their name because of their love of mosquitos. I keep all my geese, chickens, and ducks together. the only problem I ever have is breeding season w/ the geese. the ganders are a little nasty and will even breed the ducks, so my duck hens have a place they can get into and the geese can't, but they can still go where they want. Mine were all raised w/ chickens, so I'd see how they do at first. But usually they are very friendly w/ other animals. They all eat together, including my new drake Humphrey, he is such a gentleman. I don't know what he was like before I got him but he's great.
Sorry about Gretel. She's the one I told you was a pill. And the one Glenn had to get out of the tree and fell. She is not one of his favs. I didn't handle her as much as the others, so maybe if you handle her more she'll get better. She will come up to u and eat mealworms out of your hand or at least she did to me. Sorry the pics of Dwight aren't the best. enlarge them and you can see more. I'll really try today to get some. U realize I can barely use the cameraLOL.

They are so cute do you take pics professionaly they are always so breathtaking
Yes, she does take great amazing pictures.

I got a Blue Partridge Showgirl pair last Friday at Coweta. I have a 2 yr. old Blue hen from OKBetsy and I adore her and thought I would like another hen because they are so friendly and are excellent broodies and Mamas.
There were no solo hens for sale at Coweta so I bought the pair thinking I would resell the roo. But now I love the roo too and will just have to figure out a new pen arrangement. When I went to the auction I made a deal with myself - no birds that I don't have a pen for. Ha!
I don't know what it is about them. They sure are unconventional and ugly in the classic sense. They have such big eyes; curious and almost expressive. I better take some pics
I think I even want a NN hen,(dark skin), for my free-range flock.
Yes, I'm anxious to see the pictures.

Yes, Fm, is the gene that causes the dark skin. Silkies have Fm most NN don't, I think showgirls generally do too. (from the silkie) So if you start w/ both parents having Fm the chances of getting only that in the offspring is much greater.
We'll have to talk about this some time so you can explain it all to me. When you're not busy, which I think is never.

Ooooo! I might be interested in some silkies!!! Keep us posted when they hatch and I will see if your selling any!

LOL! Welcome to my world!

Oh it is SO nice to be back! With hubbies leg making things busier, then my kids sucking the life out of our internet making me wait until the coming billing cycle so I can get it where it doesn't take a millennium to load a page, I am back on!!! My husband is doing ok. We go tomorrow to see the Dr. and see if everything is going as planned with the swelling going down. He just had some antibiotics as well in the hospital for a couple of days just to get some infection taken care of. I told him it was dirty foot syndrome ha! So any way the doc will let him know if we are going to go ahead with surgery on Wed. He really broke a few bones as well as smash some. Looks like it is a very strong possibility that he may have to change his profession. He's still off work and will be for a few months. But God provides and we are doing ok.

As for chickens I can't say too much. Ok, so I can say quite a bit. I have 25 in the big brooder and then my last batch of eggs hatched making that 25 plus 12 new ones in the tote in the dining room. Cathie Sue, I did the dry hatch and I had 8 of those SFH eggs go into lock down and all 8 hatch out! Most are gray or brown with the yellow but I had two that are more or less yellow. I had those shipped eggs that had the detached air cells. All the SFH ones he gave me (3) never made it. The New Hampshires I had 4 out of 6 make it to lock down and all 4 hatched. One I had to assist because it was so tight in the egg. The air cell was too big I guess and wrapped around the egg. We will be planning on building a bigger coop pretty soon....

Last thing I can tell you all about my chickens is I cleaned my coop out super well. I say that only because we have a Mite infestation. I noticed some feathers looking kinda shabby then my cockerel Thorin had a lot of crusty blood here and there on his comb. I saw Mikayla at the Claremore home and garden and she said she had to dust all the birds there because of mites and that's when the lightbulb came on. As soon as I got home I didn't even look at them, I got my sevens dust and I checked Thorin's bum and saw all the creepy crawlies EVERYWHERE on him!!! UGH!!!! SICK THINGS!!!! So they ALL got dusted. Then DE was thrown in the coop like a crazy dust storm in a desert after I cleaned it all out. Sick nasty little bugs. Ugh! Still makes me itch just thinking about it!

Coming to a close I can only say that my little flock and all my 37 (I still feel quite boggled by that number) chicks are doing good. I integrated the blue Cochin and she is doing pretty good other than my darn cockerel Thorin trying to mount her every five min. She figured out how to run away from him but he is getting to be a butt and I'm not sure what to do with him yet. As soon as the girls get in the coop they are up on roosts and away from him so they all know better. What does everyone do with a cockerel that needs some scolding and needs to just calm the heck down?
I'm glad you're back.. I've been trying to follow you on facebook when I can. My prayers have been w/ you and yours.

I wonder why the quote didn't show up. Was this the one where u put a quotation under each chick picture. If it was it's great. How do u do that?

Quote: Yes, I still want Floyd and started on a new breeding pen yesterday. I'm glad u agree about quarantining him. I always have. Glenn has an appt. in Tulsa on Thursday. We can pick him up then if U let me know what time you'll be home or we can meet somewhere. Whatever is easiest for you. Thank you again. I'll learn to use a camera better and take pics for you. I think I will put the ladies in the breeding pen so they will have all the other eggs and sperm gone by the time Floyd gets in there. Glenn has a son named Floyd. He'll really like it that we have a rooster named the same thing.
lol.png

I know I'm not supposed to hog the thread, but I forgot to say WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW BYCERS
welcome-byc.gif
and hope You stay w/ us. These are amazing people. I Ilearn so much each time I read this thread. Of course they are all addicts
tongue2.gif
and now I've become one. Not good.
he.gif

EVERYONE, I AM STILL LOOKING FOR FEMALE GEESE. PLEASE KEEP ME IN MIND IF YOU RUN ACROSS SOME. I DON'T WANT TO TAKE ONE THAT ALREADY HAS A MATE, I THINK THAT WOULD BE CRUEL. UNLESS THEY'RE GOING TO DO IT ANYWAY. STILL CRUEL, BUT I MIGHT AS WELL BE THE ONE TO GET IT. KEEP IN MIND EXPENSE. I'M NOT RICH. AND I NEED FIVE, BUT ONE AT A TIME WILL DO. [PLEASE REMEMBER. IF YOU RUN ACROSS ANY. AT THIS TIME I DON'T EVEN CARE ABOUT BREED ANYMORE.

Adding my welcome to all the new folks here. Ask and ye shall receive. Chickens, advice, directions, prayers. Whatever you want we seem full of it.
Speaking of advice... Muscoveys eat rodents? Like mice? Can this be true?
Please confirm because I'm going to need a few dozen ducks to take care of my infestation!

Back
Top Bottom