***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Interesting thing this morning - went to let my chickens out of their coop and I look over to see an orange chicken that can only be the 'flower pot' chicken. It was the broody buff opr hen that I ended up leaving amongst the stuff in my driveway. She looked a bit ruffled and was hungery, went straight for the feed when I opened up the coop.

So I go around to the other side of the house to see the flower pot (behind stuff and under a propped up rubbermaid tub). Feathers EVERYWHERE including a big hunk of feahters that were so packed it looked like a chunk of insulation. Poor thing - I think that came from her neck. All but two of the eggs were broken and empty. I took those two and cleaned them the best I could without 'cleaning' them and shoved them into the incubator. That hen must have fought and I am soooo glad she is ok. Maybe she wont be broody anymore and will stay in the chicken yard now. My fault I didnt move her earlier like i was talking about. Phew...at least I only had to pay with some eggs, and not a nice hen.

I'm thinking possum.

@Kassaundra your babies are gorgeous! :)

I got my bantam Polish frizzle eggs in the mail today. Thanks to a good packing job they are all intact even though the box was wet on the bottom and smashed on one of the top corners. Thanks a lot USPS...sheesh! Hopefully I will at least have a few hatch after the rough trip!

I got my bantam Polish frizzle eggs in the mail today. Thanks to a good packing job they are all intact even though the box was wet on the bottom and smashed on one of the top corners. Thanks a lot USPS...sheesh! Hopefully I will at least have a few hatch after the rough trip!
I mailed some hatching eggs to a byc lady this past week too and they had a bad trip.

adults can, but bloody poop isn't a symptom, lethargy is, so i am just guessing- she started eating yesterday, so i am hoping to pull her through

i don't know if it does, but i sure need to downsize, and poops is a good place to do that- i will be bringing some bantam cochins- they'll be 4 months by then, and if i can look over the others and decide who goes- problem is they all have their stories, the older ones i'll keep, its hard to decide

That's motivation for me to go! I just got two more (1 for sure pullet 1 ify) but I'm hoping for at least 3 more! I had a crazy time bringing them home today. Spent 3 hours looking for one my toddler let out of the isolation pen. I was a mess by the time we found her.

Anyway I've been talking about P.O.O.P.S. more and more with my husband. Hoping its a real possibility for us! He says if we go all the way to talequah we have to float the river :)

And cocci is a nightmare I never ever want to relive. I wish you luck!

Last edited:

have been part of an egg swap, they are recommending labeling boxes Maple Syrup, seems the post office doesn't want syrup on equipment, but doesn't mind broken eggs.... works fairly well

Last edited:
I found out today that the Principal of the school I work for is not coming back next year. All the teachers are stressing out and rumors are flying like crazy. I need chicken therapy

That is too cute! You must be so proud!

PS. I LOVE corgis!
I just love those nesting boxes! I think she should make some and bring them to POOPS

I found a local woman with lemon cuckoo orpington eggs, $25/dozen. She's sending me pics tomorrow, if anybody around Tulsa is interested.
Or you could get a bunch and hatch them out for POOPS! Then we can all enjoy....wait, do I need more breeds? Chicks? Why of course I do!

welcome-byc.gif
Several BYC Okies are improved Californians. We still have family in San Diego, Poway, Temecula, and Lemon Grove. We miss the beautiful weather, but we're glad to be away from the high cost of living and the oneupmanship that pervades a fast culture. There are many knowledgable people on this thread. Don't hesitate to ask if you need information. And mark your calendar for June 14th. We (Okie Chicken Fans) are having a big gathering in Tahlequah to swap, sell, trade poultry, bunnies, hatching eggs, etc. There will be a pot luck lunch, and we'll also have games for the kids. There's a link to the planning thread in my signature line. Hope you can join us. It's a great way to meet friendly chicken enthusiasts.
I lived in San Diego for awhile as well.

Sigh.....the lady I bought fav chicks from is selling about 13 of them for $5 each. I'm not in mood to drive 6 hrs today to snatched them all up and she can't hold them for me for 2 weeks. So this is what chick purchase withdrawal feels like.
I have attempted to hatch Salmon Faverolle 4 times (Standard) Finally have 4 girls and 1 boy. That boy needs to stay healthy!

Check out the dark brown egg in the center.

On the cookie sheet it looks like your going to bake them. lol
Hey Okies!
I'm in Southeast OKC if anyone is near me. I hope everyone's coops are battened down, the wind is coming! :)
Welcome to BYC Okie style! I am Southeast of OKC about 15 min. Newalla area.

I do have chicks besides Rudy, here are a few pics of the 6 weekers

This is the boy w/ the rock star eye liner as a chick, I think he will be unconventional looking

Name that chicken Gene Simmons
have been part of an egg swap, they are recommending labeling boxes Maple Syrup, seems the post office doesn't want syrup on equipment, but doesn't mind broken eggs.... works fairly well
Well it is the Maple Syrup time of year!

I just love those nesting boxes! I think she should make some and bring them to POOPS

I got that nest box at a plant/craft show in Sand Springs last year

Or you could get a bunch and hatch them out for POOPS! Then we can all enjoy....wait, do I need more breeds? Chicks? Why of course

I agree!

On the cookie sheet it looks like your going to bake them. lol

I did! I hard boil eggs in the oven.

Back
Top Bottom