***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Lots of good camping here at Lake Tenkiller, and the whole area, is pretty chicken friendly. South end of the lake is Tenkiller State Park, north end is Cherokee Landing State Park. Lots of other camping around the lake. Nearby, is Brushy Lake State Park, and would seem, in my estimation, to be even more suitable for chickens on the go. Plus, the fishing, IMO, is better there.
I truly hope that you enjoy your stay, here in OK. I'm a recent transplant here, to very rural OK, from very urban-suburban, SoCal.
I'll never move back.

I keep saying I want to be @nanakat when I grow up. I doubt that day ever comes.:rolleyes:

I have a little girl (I hope, I hope! ) that has the most amazing eyes. She's one of the last Floyd girls. Where do eyes like this come from?

This picture doesn't do her eyes any justice.

very neat!

Kyzmette...are those eyes yellow green? Really pretty.
The picture of the bee balm is one of the plants I sent you as a start.

Are you looking for a place to layover in Oklahoma for a couple of days??? I live in the Cushing area ... If you are coming up 75 it puts you coming through Henryetta, Okmulgee and such, so I am quite a bit to the West of there, BUT if you wind up coming back through Oklahoma again I have a nice place where you could spend a few days or longer. :)  We have 20 acres, plenty of room to park a camper and truck, room for the dog (Hope it likes cats because I have two lol) and we have a pretty nice pond that is stocked with bass, catfish and croppie. My moms pond is even better than mine and most bass caught are 3-5lbs. You are more than welcome!
what if I just bring a tent and live there? Lol.

Tonight I add the yeast to my green tomato wine. It looks unappealing right now, but I have faith. I tasted it before putting it in the fermenter and it actually tastes pretty good.

Quote:
They are kind of yellowgreen, actually more green than yellow. The picture doesn't do her eyes justice because they're very deep and almost mossy green. I'll get another picture of her later. So have you guys ever seen a chicken with green eyes? Since she was one of Floyd's girls, I'm wondering if it's the combination of his eyes (I think they were orange, but I'm having a hard time remembering) and the brown eyes from the Langshan that I think was her mother.

@Kyzmette.........I sense chicken eye pictures in my future today......I've got an old (and I mean old-at least 8) rooster that came over from the neighbors when they moved, that was long before I had chickens. His eyes are like pale yellow. The oddest color.

Lost my sweet Beau a half hour ago....a proud, gentle Columbian Wyandotte with a great attitude. He was 5 years old and has been at death's door before. Yesterday afternoon, like an old man, he just wanted to sit in the sun and soak up those rays. He had that look in his eyes so I put him to coop with his favorite hen and her chicks. This morning he got a breakfast of scrambled eggs, yogurt and chopped peaches. As weak as he seemed, he did nibble some and then went to sleep in my lap while I worked on cattle records. I felt him slipping away and just stroked him until he was gone. He was so special.

In his prime, he strutted his stuff,

took care of his girls and even gave a hen a rest from her egg sitting.

He is sure going to be missed.

Lost my sweet Beau a half hour ago....a proud, gentle Columbian Wyandotte with a great attitude. He was 5 years old and has been at death's door before. Yesterday afternoon, like an old man, he just wanted to sit in the sun and soak up those rays. He had that look in his eyes so I put him to coop with his favorite hen and her chicks. This morning he got a breakfast of scrambled eggs, yogurt and chopped peaches. As weak as he seemed, he did nibble some and then went to sleep in my lap while I worked on cattle records. I felt him slipping away and just stroked him until he was gone. He was so special. In his prime, he strutted his stuff, took care of his girls and even gave a hen a rest from her egg sitting. He is sure going to be missed.
What a beautiful sweet boy. :( I'm so sorry. Sounds like he passed in a very loving peaceful way, but it's still heartbreaking.

@NanaKat I'm so sorry about Beau :-( I know I speak for many of us in saying we've followed his crop problems holding our breaths hoping he'd be ok.
RIP Beau. There's many hens where you're going who'll need you.

Back
Top Bottom