***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Ive got someone coming out tomo to look at and hopefully buy my pullet so now im in the market for 2 pullets about 6 weeks old. Anyone have any close to coweta? What breeds and cost?

Meet Pumpkin! Pumpkin is unlike any chicken I've seen before. Have you guys ever seen this before? She has a vestigial fifth toe on one foot, which doesn't seem too unusual, because she could have a distant ancestor with five toes, but she also has vestigial thumbs on her wings, complete with extra feather sets.

wonder if somewhere back there is a silkie? I have seen the extra wing claw on them...?

well, after seeing galahad (he isn't a small boy!)

eye my beautiful birchen bantam cochin, she is very small, about half of a silkie i was able to find her a boyfriend- galahad as sweet as he is would squash the poor thing- so this is her future honey after a month quarantine

Lady in waiting

he was so relaxed he just stretched out

Last edited:
when we first were stationed there we were looking at a rental and when you opened the door there were little skeletons smashed in the door jam, had to be careful not to squish them, i'd prefer them to the dang roaches they had there! good grief they were big

Worst roach experience, at least one that stands out the most in my mind... in Guam ... I was walking around my apt with my gimpy African grey parrot, Wuby, on my shoulder. He yelled "OFF!" (Wuby does NOT talk) and there, where he was looking, on the ceiling above us, was a HUGE roach with cricket legs....YUCKKKKKK!!!! Him saying off is one of only two times he has ever spoken. The other time (I actually cant recall at this moment what it was) was also specific and succinct communication.

Does anyone in Oklahoma sell Rhode Island Red pullets? I am wanting to buy 4 this coming March. I'm working on the hen house this winter. I am converting our old rabbit hutch so it's going to take me a while. I heard they are good to use in 4H. Our boys are to little right know for that but I'm wanting to get them into taking care of animals. I know I'll be doing most of the work right know but this will get them some responsibility too.

Does anyone in Oklahoma sell Rhode Island Red pullets? I am wanting to buy 4 this coming March. I'm working on the hen house this winter. I am converting our old rabbit hutch so it's going to take me a while. I heard they are good to use in 4H. Our boys are to little right know for that but I'm wanting to get them into taking care of animals. I know I'll be doing most of the work right know but this will get them some responsibility too.

We did large fowl for 4-H, and it was good. But for showmanship they were nearly impossible to handle. We ended up either borrowing someones banty bird or eventually started to bring our off color silkie hen just to have a bird small enough for the kids' small hands to fit around!

Did bumble foot surgery on 1 of my ducks today. Got a little kernel out of 1 foot and a whole lot of cottage cheesy stuff out of the other but no kernel. Does anyone know if thats normal?

I don't have lots of experience at it, but, in my limited experience, doing surgery to remove an infection, tends to not help in the long run, unless the "kernel" is removed. My favorite RIR hen, had bumblefoot, when I got her. Five times, I went in, and removed more of the infection, than I thought would be in there. Five times, it did not take, and was soon back to being pretty serious. The sixth time, I went in, with true surgical tools, and using a tool with a hooked end, was able to pull the kernel to where I could see part of it. I then grabbed it with forceps, and it came out. I rinsed it out with iodine, bandaged it up, changing the bandage, and cleaning the incision, then re-bandaging, every other day, and in about 10 days, it looked good enough to leave the bandage off. The foot is now healed very nicely, and the only remaining sign that there was a problem, is that she walks with a limp. I think that it is more out of habit, these days, than anything. She is very plump and healthy. Runs like the dickens, but, when she's strolling along, there's a distinct limp.

I don't imagine getting RIR's will be difficult. There's likely a dozen, or more folks near you, that could help you out. If not, you can check with Clark Farms, LLC., north of Stilwell. Sean usually has just about whatever is needed. He's treated me well, and is very fair in pricing.

Back
Top Bottom