***OKIES in the BYC III ***

The last several posts really made me think---WOW! These birds really are like our babies! Bumbers, rate of development, what's in their poo? We pour our heart into these things, don't we?

On that note, my Cochin eggs I ordered and hatched a week or so ago...I'm losing them one by one. They're in the brooder with a couple of my mixes and a couple slightly older (but not much bigger) lavender Orps I purchased. It's just the Cochins I'm losing. One day they look great and the next their wings are droopy. They're lethargic. It's like they just give up. I'm down to five from seven and have one of those quarantined due to how it's acting. I did switch them to large flake brooder from sand. Could this be it? Larger bird, larger appetite, eating stuff it shouldn't?

I'm making a feed store run today, so if there's something I can try, let me know. I am on Facebook too, but for some reason, I feel like this BYC is more helpful. FB tends to jump on people!

I'm sure others will be more helpful about causes and symptoms but I just wanted to put out there that I am working on becoming a dealer for Koop Clean though dealings with the company have been slow and more difficult than I had anticipated. Anyway I can't find anyone in oklahoma that carries it and I love the stuff. I've had all sorts of problems with chicks and juvies on shavings. I like sand but not how it gets hot and cold. This Koop Clean has many of the benefits of straw but is much easier to clean and helps a lot with smell. If you want to try it msg me your info and I can contact you when I am able to get some in. Pickup would be in north Edmond but I travel south down i35 almost once a month.

The last several posts really made me think---WOW! These birds really are like our babies! Bumbers, rate of development, what's in their poo? We pour our heart into these things, don't we?

On that note, my Cochin eggs I ordered and hatched a week or so ago...I'm losing them one by one. They're in the brooder with a couple of my mixes and a couple slightly older (but not much bigger) lavender Orps I purchased. It's just the Cochins I'm losing. One day they look great and the next their wings are droopy. They're lethargic. It's like they just give up. I'm down to five from seven and have one of those quarantined due to how it's acting. I did switch them to large flake brooder from sand. Could this be it? Larger bird, larger appetite, eating stuff it shouldn't?

I'm making a feed store run today, so if there's something I can try, let me know. I am on Facebook too, but for some reason, I feel like this BYC is more helpful. FB tends to jump on people!

We always lost babies on shavings. First week we keep them on old towels that we change out when needed, that way they are only eating food. Then we put them on straw, not hay, that is too big to be ingested whole. Also use cider vinegar with molasses in their water the first couple of weeks, then leave out the molasses.

I'm sure others will be more helpful about causes and symptoms but I just wanted to put out there that I am working on becoming a dealer for Koop Clean though dealings with the company have been slow and more difficult than I had anticipated. Anyway I can't find anyone in oklahoma that carries it and I love the stuff. I've had all sorts of problems with chicks and juvies on shavings. I like sand but not how it gets hot and cold. This Koop Clean has many of the benefits of straw but is much easier to clean and helps a lot with smell. If you want to try it msg me your info and I can contact you when I am able to get some in. Pickup would be in north Edmond but I travel south down i35 almost once a month.

I live in North Edmond, Logan Co. How do I get some Koop clean. I lost some keets last year on shavings until I covered them with paper towels!

I have been using aspen bedding from Tractor Supply. It's the same stuff I use for the guinea pig and hamsters. The chicks pick at it, but I haven't had any problems with the day-olds I received in the mail, which are now 3 weeks old (surprising, really). I purchased a can of "Manna Pro" coop and compost odor neurtralizer, ingredients: Zeolite. Don't waste your money! It did nothing for the odor and the chicks picked at it constantly, which made me a nervous wreck. So we just deal with the poopy smell. Hope this helps.

Thanks, guys! I have raised chicks on bedding before with no problem and had here on sand for over a week. But, just in case, I have put burlap down in the brooder and paper towels where the sick one is. ACV is in their water (I do this sometimes, hadn't done it with this batch yet). We shall see. I got the sick one to drink and eat a little. Hopefully it'll turn the corner.

Yes, I'd be interested in Koop clean. I'm in Norman, so I'm sure we could figure it out. I'll PM you.

Morning peeps! We made to Ada yesterday. Was a day late because we had to stop and stay in Ft Smith we'd nite because of the snow and ice. The sunshine looks great and so does Oklahoma! We stopped by Orschens this morning. So many nice chicks there. It's just not feasible to try and take any home tho. We still have a couple days of traveling and visiting before heading back. But I did get to pick up some very nice roller pigeons from a nice breeder in Ft smith. They will be a great addition to my flock. Just wanted to say hi and hope everyone gets to enjoy the sunshine today. Will be a great day to spend with your birds if you can.

Morning peeps! We made to Ada yesterday. Was a day late because we had to stop and stay in Ft Smith we'd nite because of the snow and ice. The sunshine looks great and so does Oklahoma! We stopped by Orschens this morning. So many nice chicks there. It's just not feasible to try and take any home tho. We still have a couple days of traveling and visiting before heading back. But I did get to pick up some very nice roller pigeons from a nice breeder in Ft smith. They will be a great addition to my flock. Just wanted to say hi and hope everyone gets to enjoy the sunshine today. Will be a great day to spend with your birds if you can.

I have spent the morning ankle deep in mud, i love snow, but not the mess- enjoy the okie sunshine!! so nice to see you posting!

Back
Top Bottom