***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I am perplexed. I had a broody, she had 7 eggs make it to the last of the 21 days. One hatched yesterday, I heard pecking and peeping from nearly all the eggs before that one hatched. It hatched in the night right before we went to bed, the next morning (this morning) I expected to see several chicks, but just the one, I listened but didn't hear anymore noise from the shells, I knew I should have done something right then, but these were broody eggs not in my incubator that always shrink wraps everything, so I honored the sanctity of the hatching egg and did nothing. I kept listening all day and still not hearing anything from the eggs, so tonight I brought a glass of warm water and water candled only one had slight movement but no noise. I set up the incubator and brought the eggs in to "assist" but really thinking I was eggtopsying. One was a dud, but the 5 other were fully developed internally pipped and dead, except for the one, it was almost dead and didn't make it, took a few gasps and died, I was just to late. I expect this from my incubator, usually the only survivors I get are those I physically hatch (open the shell and assist) myself, but these were 100% broody incubated. What's going on?????

I am perplexed.  I had a broody, she had 7 eggs make it to the last of the 21 days.  One hatched yesterday, I heard pecking and peeping from nearly all the eggs before that one hatched.  It hatched in the night right before we went to bed, the next morning (this morning) I expected to see several chicks, but just the one, I listened but didn't hear anymore noise from the shells, I knew I should have done something right then, but these were broody eggs not in my incubator that always shrink wraps everything, so I honored the sanctity of the hatching egg and did nothing.  I kept listening all day and still not hearing anything from the eggs, so tonight I brought a glass of warm water and water candled only one had slight movement but no noise.  I set up the incubator and brought the eggs in to "assist" but really thinking I was eggtopsying.  One was a dud, but the 5 other were fully developed internally pipped and dead, except for the one, it was almost dead and didn't make it, took a few gasps and died, I was just to late.  I expect this from my incubator, usually the only survivors I get are those I physically hatch (open the shell and assist) myself, but these were 100% broody incubated.  What's going on?????

That sounds like lung problems, an inability to convert to oxygen breathing, but it seems odd for it to happen to multiple eggs of the same hatch.

Where did she have her eggs? Could there have been something in the area that would have made the air bad for such a high metabolic rate? High ammonia?

That sounds like lung problems, an inability to convert to oxygen breathing, but it seems odd for it to happen to multiple eggs of the same hatch.

Where did she have her eggs? Could there have been something in the area that would have made the air bad for such a high metabolic rate? High ammonia?

No in the coop, my coop has mostly open sides on 3 sides. It is frustrating, mostly b/c I didn't go w/ my gut this morning and "interfere"

There was baseball sized hail in the town of Meeker, but 2.8 miles east on Hwy 62 we got some bigger than quarters. [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] And for those inquiring minds... This is head cheese (Brawn)
Be safe out there. :) The head cheese looks amazing! Made me crave my grandmas braunschweiger. I liked head cheese too but braunschweiger was my favorite! :) you're incredible in the Kitchen! That's work.

There was baseball sized hail in the town of Meeker, but 2.8 miles east on Hwy 62 we got some bigger than quarters. [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] And for those inquiring minds... This is head cheese (Brawn)
Yikes on the hail! Might I ask what you made the head cheese from? I made some from goat last fall. It tastes like the most flavorful roast beef ever.

I am perplexed.  I had a broody, she had 7 eggs make it to the last of the 21 days.  One hatched yesterday, I heard pecking and peeping from nearly all the eggs before that one hatched.  It hatched in the night right before we went to bed, the next morning (this morning) I expected to see several chicks, but just the one, I listened but didn't hear anymore noise from the shells, I knew I should have done something right then, but these were broody eggs not in my incubator that always shrink wraps everything, so I honored the sanctity of the hatching egg and did nothing.  I kept listening all day and still not hearing anything from the eggs, so tonight I brought a glass of warm water and water candled only one had slight movement but no noise.  I set up the incubator and brought the eggs in to "assist" but really thinking I was eggtopsying.  One was a dud, but the 5 other were fully developed internally pipped and dead, except for the one, it was almost dead and didn't make it, took a few gasps and died, I was just to late.  I expect this from my incubator, usually the only survivors I get are those I physically hatch (open the shell and assist) myself, but these were 100% broody incubated.  What's going on?????

The only time that's happened to us with chickens had to do with humidity levels. But we've had ducks do it multiple times. We found out our ducks have a crested gene lurking in them which kills about 75% of hatchlings in the last 24 - 36 hours. So I wonder if there is some genetic abnormality going on?!?!?

I'd eat that! I've never had/seen any before. That is beautiful! It rained here overnight, not much of anything else. I looked out the window this morning to see our dogs jumping around like 2 year olds...neighbor dog is up for a visit. Don't get me wrong. It's not good that he is out. I am certain he (German Shepherd) would take a chicken if he could. However, all I have to do is say "Roni, go home!" and he darts back to their house. If only my own dogs would listen so well!

I have a lonely male guinea if anyone has females and needs a male.  He wandered up this winter and lives w/ the chickens, but I think he would be happier w/ some ladies of his own.  I would give him to anyone.  He has purple feathers in his neck area.

I have 40 guineas but I live in Edmond

Something similar happened about a month ago to my first-time broody hens also. There were two brooding the eggs, and one was VERY attentive. Only one chick made it out, two pipped slightly, one pipped almost all the way out, the rest were bad. My theory is that partly because they were laid in the very cold weather, and partly because there were maybe too many to be completely covered all the time, the weather was a factor. We all know that chickens rotate the eggs, and when they can't quite cover them all, the ones that spend more time on the edges can be damaged in various ways. I think they may have been damaged just enough they didn't have the strength to hatch fully. Also, a couple had been thrown from the nest. I feel sure some first-time broodies (especially if they're outdoors even 'though protected well) have seen mice and mistake the sounds of hatching and newly-hatched look of their chicks for mice. Had this happen with a guinea one year. She killed the first three or four until she seemed to realize what they were. After that, she was VERY protective of them.

I have trouble NOT interfering, and would probably have started in when I could no longer hear them peeping. I've "saved" more than I've lost, but it is really tricky if you start too soon.

Back
Top Bottom