***OKIES in the BYC III ***

So sorry Ashtree
hugs.gif

Thanks @Kyzmette and @lonnyandrinda . I'm just kinda in shock. My husband and I just buried 27 but there is still 1 missing. I'm sure it's dead or close to dead. Im reminding myself of all the things I have to be thankful for. I'm just a crying fool and the kids fell asleep thinking a few might make it but after looking them over it was clear they were goners. So it's going to be hard tomorrow-which it was going to be anyway. Man we loved those guys. I wish I knew how to not get attached.
I am so sorry!!! i don't know if it really gets any easier, its not a matter of being cut out for country life, its the beauty of who you are , the compassion towards our animals that is so rare nowdays- i wish i could help, i know everyone feels the same, if only we could help and make it easier for you- we are all here for you- if i had ducklings you bet they'd be headed your way!

Thank you Rhonda, you are very, very sweet.

I think I'm going to do a special painting project with the kids tomorrow as a sort of healing exercise and way to say goodbye. Hopefully it helps us all. It's been a lot of loss for 1 day.

Ash, Sorry to hear.... the dogs have been terrible this last few days. I am really glad that you took a picture of them all running around and showed it to us. We are all sad with you. :(

Got home from easter stuff to discover all our baby ducks dead except a couple that look close to dying. :( Looks like the dog went on a killing spree. I'm devastated and my poor kids are crying themselves to sleep. It's a sad night here. I couldn't find 2, nor could I find 3 young free ranging pullets. I'm getting the baby down then going to bury the ducks and look for the missing ones. I'm feeling like we're not cut out for country living. We certainly don't have the heart for all this.

Oh no. (((Hugs))) Losses like that are so devastating. I'm so sorry. Unfortunately, dealing with loss is part of the reality of farm life. There's nothing fun about it. Allow yourselves to grieve. We've all been through it at least once. We lost all of our turkeys one year to an opposum. They were fourteen weeks old and we were very attached. I still cry when I think about it.

So sorry, Ashley. What a horrible thing to happen to, your family especially. We've discovered the ONLY way for us to have a dog and poultry is to keep them completely separate. Hope the painting project starts the healing process.

As I described before, I've been through it, too, Ashtree. I completely empathize with your sorrow and angst. We were fortunate, in a small way, when our dog did his big killing spree. We had a very smart rooster, who led everyone who would follow, off, deep into the woods, only to come back later, after Buddy was being "re-trained". But, one Frizzle, didn't follow the roo, she found her own way, in another direction in the woods, and we still have her today. She's mean and ugly, and she takes no guff, from any other birds, including 30# turkeys (which is why she's ugly-she scraps a lot, with everyone, and everyone is bigger than her). But, when we tried to give her, her own home, all she wanted was to be with the other birds who peck at her. So she's back with them. Let's hope that your one missing baby, is simply scared and hiding, waiting to be rescued.

Thank you everyone for the well wishes and understanding. Farm life is a bit new to us and that was such a huge emotional blow. I went out this morning and picked up all the small left over bits before the kids got up. It was sad but watching all the silkies and big ducks was nice. Life goes on. I don't understand the dog tho, he didn't touch any free ranging chickens or adult ducks or baby geese (which are quite large). Just the ducklings...? We know where we will set up ducklings in the future and are hoping to get back on the breeders wait list. Oh and I did find all the pullets this morning running around. :) And thanks again everyone for your kindness.

Quote:

Quote: Ashley...so sorry to hear of another loss for your family! Some breeds of dogs make wonderful family pets as well as good guardians and some are just great family pets.

Rinda, our Aussie still had the working dog experience when we got her so she is great at herding the chickens but I wouldn't trust her in an enclosure with them at her age now. She is 11 and gets a little grumpy. Red the Catahoula x lab loves the chickens and has been wonderful as a chick protector. He ignores the adults. But again, his hunting background could click in when not supervised.

Thank you everyone for the well wishes and understanding. Farm life is a bit new to us and that was such a huge emotional blow. I went out this morning and picked up all the small left over bits before the kids got up. It was sad but watching all the silkies and big ducks was nice. Life goes on. I don't understand the dog tho, he didn't touch any free ranging chickens or adult ducks or baby geese (which are quite large). Just the ducklings...? We know where we will set up ducklings in the future and are hoping to get back on the breeders wait list. Oh and I did find all the pullets this morning running around. :) And thanks again everyone for your kindness.

I'm no expert, in farm life, nor dog behavior. But, in my observation, of our dogs' behavior, over the past 11 months, with our birds, is that they see the little birds as toys. They are something small, and fast, to play with, and, they taste good, to a dog. When it stops playing, they take a taste, and then they move on to the next one. It's a big game, to them. The difference is, my beagle. The ONLY interest he has shown towards the birds, is when they are tiny little, down covered, balls of fluff, he is very protective of them. He won't let the other dogs NEAR the brooders. Once they feather out, he couldn't care less about them, and as they get full sized, he's almost scared of them. My Schnauzer, loves to chase the smaller birds, but even when she gets one cornered, she just stares at it, as though she doesn't know what to do with it, then. It's the catahoula, that is the born killer, and the boxer, just wants to play, but she plays rough. Enough to kill a full grown turkey.

Again, I've been there, and know what you're going through. It is sad, and difficult to deal with. But, life goes on. God brings us other things in life to care for, and we move on to those things. In the mean time, though, it will be tough.

Back
Top Bottom