***OKIES in the BYC III ***

@Poco Pollo How are you guys doing in all of this rain? Can you get out?
Super muddy here, but we can get in and out. We have deep ditches on either side of the road that seem deeper and wider after the recent thunderstorms. I heard we will have rain most of this week, so we may be stuck if this wet weather gets worse.

My chicks are losing their down feathers. They are about 3 weeks old. They seem to be picking and preening a LOT, and a couple of them have a red spot under their wings which is why I'm a little concerned. Is this normal when they molt, or could it be mites? Stress? They seem to be eating and drinking just fine, active, and dust bathing a lot, too. Are mites pretty obvious, or hard to see? Also, what is everyone's favorite mite treatment, if it comes to that?

since they are so young, they aren't likely to have been exposed to mites unless they are around other birds with mites.
Mites are very small, but you can see them under the wings in the bare spots or around the vent.
Poultry dust added to sand in a tray as a dust bath will help.
Adams flea and tick spray is good sprayed under the wings, on the the legs and around the vent.

@Poco Pollo
 How are you guys doing in all of this rain? Can you get out?

Super muddy here, but we can get in and out.  We have deep ditches on either side of the road that seem deeper and wider after the recent thunderstorms.  I heard we will have rain most of this week, so we may be stuck if this wet weather gets worse.  

Sure hope you don't get trapped...lots of rain tonight...on top of what has already fallen since Sunday. Stay safe!

We are getting it now on top of 3.9 inches since Sunday. The pens are wet and soggy in spots and the ponds are running over.

Back
Top Bottom