***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Quote:
Looks like Beverly Hillbillies lol!! But I shouldn't laugh because I've looked like that driving down the road more than a time or 2
hmm.png

$18 is considered high for a top hen?? I suppose the downside (for me) of getting them from an auction is not knowing what the birds have been exposed to and what they could potentially pass on to my babies. That fear is keeping me in line as far as which chickens I get.
Hey Firefly-I'm really liking this red Cochin bantam hen I got from you some time back. She's sooo tiny! She's not ornery with chickens her age, just babies. And that's probably the norm with chickens. Her name's Reba
smile.png

There were 5 red Bantam Cochins for sale near the end of the Newcastle auction Saturday. I was SO tempted. They only sold for a dollar each! I WILL have reds one day but just don't have room now.

Quote:
Oh wow-poor babies little lives were only worth a dollar. That's kind of sad. This little red one I got from Firefly has light colored bars at the ends of her feathers. Is there a name for that color? She's really pretty but so very tiny and around 4-5 months old from what Jackie (Firefly) could recall. She's only the size of a pigeon, but it makes her even cuter.

Quote:
Oh wow-poor babies little lives were only worth a dollar. That's kind of sad. This little red one I got from Firefly has light colored bars at the ends of her feathers. Is there a name for that color? She's really pretty but so very tiny and around 4-5 months old from what Jackie (Firefly) could recall. She's only the size of a pigeon, but it makes her even cuter.

It is likely the light coloring you are seeing on the pullet are stress marks. Likely due to the excessive heat we have had, it will cause marks and off color in fowl that are feathering out.

Quote:
Aah-that makes sense. That the heat would have an effect on brand new feathers in a baby. It looks kind of cool but she'll look really nice when she gets a deep red.

Quote:
What variety of turkeys are they?

Yah TEL US more about your Turkey's sgtmck1 are you coming to the sale this week in at blanchard...

Howdy everyone! Just wanted to check in and let everyone know we are still alive. Its still dry here no rain since October and everything is on fire with no end in sight. The heat did finally break we were at over 80 days over 100 degrees for the year. We sold off most the cows because hay is so high, people are selling round bales for $160 each ( I won't pay that) and the hay is of poor quality and the bales are small. On the bright side of things our birds are doing well and we have a new baby pot belly named Fiona she is alot of fun and is already litter box trained. Well I'm off to bed hope everyone is well.

Quote:
Good to hear form you Doc..was wondering how you were doing. Yikes on the price of hay and the lack of rain.
Hope we all get some soon. We will be selling a lot of cattle this year also...while we have some hay stockpiled, we don't have enough for the whole herd. It is going to be water that makes it necessary for us to sell. Our ponds are the lowest we have ever had and we are already tank watering.

Back
Top Bottom