***OKIES in the BYC III ***

So then anyone who has ever had a mixed flock w/ a spitz or spitz mix also has this? Or anyone who has gotten any chicken of any breed that also had a spitz or spitz mix in the flock w/ any other chicken also carries it? Or almost any bird purchased at an auction that had a spitz or spitz mix or had been kept on a place w/ a spitz or exposed bird can have it or carry it? What I'm saying is it is out there and not just confined to spitz's anymore.
If it is going to keep you up at night worrying over it then don't get them, there are other birds w/ top knots, but don't kid yourself that if you don't get a spitz your (the general you not specifically you) flock hasn't been exposed if you have brought any bird into your place that has ever lived elsewhere or been to a show or auction.
So not meaning that every bird that has been to an auction, show or lived elsewhere has it or carries it, just that any of them COULD have/carry it.
Exactly-it's not only a Spitz problem-it's a chicken problem. The thing with Spitz is the Spitz people seem to know ALL their birds have it, are carriers, etc. And I know exactly where you're coming from-I have 2 Spitz mixes. There's controversy about whether it's passed from rooster to hen (or vice versa) there's controversy about the whole thing. That's exactly what makes me uncomfortable. I can't get straight answers. And of course there's a possibility one or more of my own birds have already been exposed. But-why purposely bring in birds that I know for a fact all have it? See what I mean?

So the birds that get it / have it, are they noticably sick and then die in days, or is it chronic failure to thrive and die in weeks to months, or never knew my chicken was sick dropped dead at 4-6 yrs old?
You said 20% fatal, do the 80% then live long productive lives?
Yea, they get sick, skinny, weak and die. It's like some generic disease. Chicken diseases are ridiculous. It's not like with dogs where people will go to the vet and spend $50 to find out what's wrong with their dog. Chickens seem to be worth just about 15 cents to most people. So too little is known about too many things. 20% is the number one article stated. And yes-the rest lives for years but are carriers. I just feel like I shouldn't knowingly take it on. Especially when I'm having such a hard time finding out solid information :)

Last edited:
What would yall suggest is some good scraps i can start feeding at 6 weeks?
My chickens are like me. They LOVE tomatoes, boiled eggs, and hamburger. At 6 weeks old I cut the tomatoes up a little for them but time they get another week older they will tear apart a whole one. Boiled eggs I put in food processer and blend to a chunky mix about 1/4 inch pieces, shells and all. Hamburger, then graguate to any type meat. Dont know if there is anything to it, but when I go to feeding lots of meat and eggs and other scrapes. I make sure to keep them curant on worm meds.

Okay now I'm confused. If every spitz has it for sure congenetically w/o any additional exposures, and you have spitz mixes already, then you already have it on your place anywhere chickens have pooped or come in contact w/ your spitz mixes. So if all your birds already potentially are carriers or have it, or are immune I don't understand your not wanting to get the other birds?? If your spitz mixes don't have it then it isn't a congentitally passed disease everytime and there are other spitz / mixes that also wouldn't have it. Since you can't hear inflection w/ the typed word, this is in no way smart allecky at all.

i found this, maybe it helps?

LEUKOSIS

Group name for several tumour diseases caused by RNA tumour viruses, largely affecting chicken over about 20 weeks of age.

Tumours occur in liver, kidney, bursa, spleen, bone and ovaries.

Disease of the leucosis complex include Erythroid Leucosis, Myeloid Leukosis.

Lymphoid Leukosis and Osteopetrosis.

Now virtually eliminated from major breeding hnits.

A new strain, the "J" strain, has been found in broiler parents and broilers worldwide.

Confirmation of the diagnosis requires histopahology.

No treatment or vaccine.

Lymphoid Leukosis

Transmission:

Contact with infected birds
Spreads from infected breeders through hatching eggs (this is the main source of transmission)
By infected chicks to non infected chicks through droppings
Mechanically by blood sucking parasites or unhygienic vaccination method
Shed by hen into the albumin or yolk (or both).
Congenitally infected chickens fail to produce neutralizing antibodies and usually remain carriers for life.
Horizontal infection after hatching also occurs.
The earlier the infection, the more likely it is to lead to tolerance, persistent carriers, and tumors.
Tumors are more frequent with congenital infection.
Tumors are composed almost entirely of B-lymphocytes, which often have IgM on the surfaces. Common in liver, spleen, and bursa.
Found occasionally in kidneys, gonads, and mesentery.
Can be prevented (even up to 5 months of age) by treatments that destroy the bursa.

had a neat visit with okieT, gosh we could spend all afternoon yaking... her next stop is Bfrancis...she'll be loaded going home!

so far olive the EE has hatched 3 eggs- they look like carbon copies, jewels aren't due to hatch for till the end of the week, and the other two ee's keep playing see which nest fits the best...silly girls- waiting on the other egg to see if anything happens- popped it in the bator, so hopefully it wasn't cold too long- the craked ones were leaking this morning, so i tossed em... no more communal brooders!

Hey bycer l have for sale a quad of black langshans and trio of salmon favorlles all of them are show birds we showed last year.just have to many before i put them craiglist i wanted give my byc friends a chance first

Oh my! I do want the langshans!! I may send you a PM in a bit. I have to think about housing then since DD is growing so many birds out we may have a space issue. Give me a few hours to mentally process where i can put more pretty birds to our farm.

I'm reading about this disease called Lymphoid Leukosis that virtually all Spitzhauben have because the original Spitz's imported into this country had it and that's where all our Spitzhauben came from. I was supposed to get some this week and I'm really just sick about this. Some of the same people who were in a panic over it 2 yrs ago now claim "it's no big deal". Yet all the info I'm reading about it suggests it's just plain stupid to knowingly expose your flock to it by getting Spitz's without testing them 1st. I wanted those Spitz so badly and now I'm too scared to risk it. If there's even a 1 in 50 chance of them passing it to my other birds it's not worth it to me. I wish I could find some sort of solid info on it but so far I can't. Mainly I'm finding factual articles warning against risking it and individual chicken owners saying "it's no big deal". I've read until my eyes blurred and finally came to the conclusion that there's nothing anyone can say to make me risk my other birds getting it (especially my Cochin girls!) so I'm going to pass on the Spitz. Which makes me ill to even say. It's passed from hen to chick through the egg. And any eggs that hatch along with those eggs get it. It's gradual and sneaky and most people don't even realize that's why they lose birds (as in the case with most diseases).
Am I just too much of a chicken? Or would you all risk it?
I haven't dealt with that disease specifically, but I had to depopulate last year for mycoplasma gallisepticum. I have a zero tolerance for respiratory illnesses on the place. I'll treat injuries, and I'll worm my chickens, but I don't ever want to hear sneezes and sniffles. I definitely wouldn't get a chicken with a known disease. Your tolerance for risk may vary.

Back
Top Bottom