***OKIES in the BYC III ***

B Francis what are the jars in the bottom? Nice woodwork. Where did you get your incubator parts? Does haveing that big of glass door make it hard to keep the temp regulated? Will you be useing it as a combination hatcher/incubator? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to get it all figured out so I can make one someday. Although I am sure it won't be as pretty a yours. Are you ready to go into the bator building business now!lol

Thanks! Just answered the jar deal for Nanakat, they are heat sinks. The thermostat and heating element came from GQF, everything else was off the shelf at lowes or walmart. The glass up front is actually 1/4" plexiglass, it holds temps very well...only .5 degree variance between heat cycles. no plans to use it as a hatcher...that build will soon be underway.

Believe it or not on the bator building biz, I have had folks on different forums that I frequent ask that very question. I've posted detailed step by step in other places...and they've liked what they see, so you never know....you can buy bigger ones, this only holds 210 chicken eggs or 600 quail eggs, and you can get cabinet models cheaper...but I did try to build this one like a piece of furniture to live in our house....

One of the cool things about this bator you cant see in the pics, is a return duct and false wall. where you see the fan at the top there are intake holes behind it, but the fan sits in a 5" duct that runs the entire height of the cabinet. Behind the jars on the bottom is a return so the air flows from top to bottom then returns from the bottom back through the fan for good circulation...not just a movement. There are exhaust holes near the bottom for over flow air so it won't "pressurize"....

Once you get moved back here, I'll get you started on a build if you want....

Last edited:
Good evening all. Every thing is good here all animals are ok I was worried about them today while I was at work but everyone is fine. Chickens have new tarps on top of runs for shade new fans for air and ice bottles they are happy chickiees.

Wanted to wait until it was done before posting pics...but this is what I have been working on the last few weeks

Started with some maple 3/4" plywood and a couple sticks of oak...A little cutting, a little routing...whole bunch of sanding and finish coats...

The final product, an incubator that will hold 5 Miller auto turn racks and not look like dookie in my living room, lol!
Love the 'bator!! On a similar note, I just candled a random egg (i've only got 6 in the 'bator) and saw a little chickie moving in there. 12 more days till hatch day!

Bill the bator is looking nice. Hopefully you can fill it very soon!

I went out today about 5 after 45 min got too hot so retreated back to the house until close to 8--- took us until a few minutes ago to finish the garden, goat, dog & bird chores! Kids are getting showered & into bed.

Told DH the dogs need an a/c of their own but he isn't sold yet. We did loose 2 pullets today. Makes our 3rd loss. All 3 have been this seasons chicks that have already been moved into the main coop. The adult birds seem good. Have a blue pullet I am worried about. She was in the barn next to the grow out pen enjoying their fan. She didn't go into her coop for dinner or bed. I found her laying there after lights out. I picked her up & put her on her roost. Will do my best to keep an eye out for her tomorrow. Also the hot weather has caused the ducks to greatly appreciate their pool. They just stand in there & pant. I don't remember my pullets doing worse in the heat than the hens last yr. I just remember most of the birds I lost last yr were welsummers.
The biggest news at my place is all 4 brooders are empty! Only 3 more wks of hatching keets them we are unplugging the cabinets. We do still have 4 different grow out pens, but no birds under lights! MJ the cochins that came from yalls original birds have such big fluffy feet now! 2 were standing next too each other & DD thought there was a dead chick on the ground. They have some many feathers on there feet that she didn't know it was their feet.

Oh-- I did have a major gardening thought. My chickens don't harm okra or green beans. Wonder next season about fencing in the okra & beans together. In my garden those are the 2 plants that get the most grasshopper damage. Think could create a good chicken yard with lots of shade. I am not sure if they would try & eat the leaves of green beans, but I know they won't eat the beans. I have given them any beans with damage & they are still in the feeder days later.

I seriously need to get some sleep! Good night all!

NNBreeder, you sound like my husband. He's a car mechanic, heavy equipment mechanic, can weld, can do about anything (except carpentry). He's the hardest worker I know. I had no idea driving truck paid that well, that would be a wonderful career for someone who could be away for a week or 2 at a time.

When I was running for MNX back in '90 trainers for JB Hunt were pulling in 70K a year but that is a very stressful job that should have paid twice that. LOL

The company that I worked for in Enid where I hauled cattle had a set price per load depending on distance. I pulled two loads out of Ky. and two loads out of La. every week and they paid 500 each load. It was tiresome to say the least and even when I did have home time resting was all I did.

Heavy haulers, the wide and long loads, make extra good money and it is worth every penny because they sure earn it.

The guys that stay out the longest are usually the bed-buggers, furniture movers, and most companies will promise you to be home only about four times a year.

It's funny but Teva has only been driving for about a month now but the other night she told me that she finally understands what I was talking about when I was out on the road. The other day she had a run to Ft. Worth and coming back out she was in morning rush hour with construction to boot. She said this car cut her and others off and then had the nerve to flip the bird to every one they cut off. I just started laughing and told her to get used to it, chances are things like that will happen on a daily basis. Just smile, wave and go about your business.

Almost forgot, it seems that dispatch always sends Teva out on runs near midnight and she doesn't get home till just after dawn. I told her that if she ever got an assigned van I was going to name her van "The Lady of the Evening" I'm sure glad my sweetie has a sence of humor.

Last edited:
Thanks! Just answered the jar deal for Nanakat, they are heat sinks. The thermostat and heating element came from GQF, everything else was off the shelf at lowes or walmart. The glass up front is actually 1/4" plexiglass, it holds temps very well...only .5 degree variance between heat cycles. no plans to use it as a hatcher...that build will soon be underway.

Believe it or not on the bator building biz, I have had folks on different forums that I frequent ask that very question. I've posted detailed step by step in other places...and they've liked what they see, so you never know....you can buy bigger ones, this only holds 210 chicken eggs or 600 quail eggs, and you can get cabinet models cheaper...but I did try to build this one like a piece of furniture to live in our house....

One of the cool things about this bator you cant see in the pics, is a return duct and false wall. where you see the fan at the top there are intake holes behind it, but the fan sits in a 5" duct that runs the entire height of the cabinet. Behind the jars on the bottom is a return so the air flows from top to bottom then returns from the bottom back through the fan for good circulation...not just a movement. There are exhaust holes near the bottom for over flow air so it won't "pressurize"....

Once you get moved back here, I'll get you started on a build if you want....

That bator is just awesome!

Bill the bator is looking nice. Hopefully you can fill it very soon!
Thanks! After this test hatch, I'll fill it up and shut down the 6 brinsea and foam bators that have been running non stop for several months now.

Hope you can get all your cooling needs going. I've actually lost one hen and 4 older quail this last week, so I can feel for you. I put up a huge solar shield netting (14x 36) over some runs and tarps over the west end of others and has made a tremendous difference. Most of my coops and runs are too far away to run a hose for a mister, or even have electricity for a fan....shade and frozen 12 oz soda bottles in the water have been life savers, literally.

Good luck to you and all who are battling the heat with animals.

Our Dog made himself another hole in my herb garden. I had had it back to almost perfect but hadn't replaced the parsley yet. Parsley must not have been meant to be this year.
you must try again butterflys lay there eggs on parsley and dill. I will have to take a pic of sianna's butterfly garden and post. She has three clumps of dill. She made a lil kidney shaped bed. Has planted lantana, coriopsie, zinnias, mexican heather, purple dahlias, red and pinks asiatic liliys, a pink day lily, and caladiums, and im sure i for got a few others.

Back
Top Bottom