*** OKIES in the BYC ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
frow.gif

do you get ganders in very often at the auction??

Quote:
Oh my! You are a better person than I. I'm sorry that happened to you and your birds. Have you assessed how it got into your pen?

The silkies and Black aussies are the only birds who free range my yard during breeding time. I just got off the phone with the byc member earlier we had the very conversation about them being the only birds I worry about to hawks and I hang up phone and Poof Dead silkie. The hawk picked the silkie out of the pasture and took her inside a crate box Coop that is unoccupied. I was gonna move my cornish in to the coop last night. But told my daughter I better wait till today because they would be out of my sight. as of now there directly lined with my living room window. Guess I can be glad it wasnt them that got it.
I have dealt with so many hawks around here its time to put up the detterents and do regular yard checks and. Give them a good scalding if I see them in flight.
he.gif

Robin - I better not
wink.png

Quote:
if you are looking for the small spiral numbered bands most poultry supply providers have them. Cutler has a great sellection. but you can find them on most supply websites in varying styles and sizes to best suit your needs.

I've heard hanging reflective items around your coops and range areas will work, but i have never tried it myself.

Quote:
Oh my! You are a better person than I. I'm sorry that happened to you and your birds. Have you assessed how it got into your pen?

The silkies and Black aussies are the only birds who free range my yard during breeding time. I just got off the phone with the byc member earlier we had the very conversation about them being the only birds I worry about to hawks and I hang up phone and Poof Dead silkie. The hawk picked the silkie out of the pasture and took her inside a crate box Coop that is unoccupied. I was gonna move my cornish in to the coop last night. But told my daughter I better wait till today because they would be out of my sight. as of now there directly lined with my living room window. Guess I can be glad it wasnt them that got it.
I have dealt with so many hawks around here its time to put up the detterents and do regular yard checks and. Give them a good scalding if I see them in flight.
he.gif

Robin - I better not
wink.png

Quote:
he.gif

Robin - I better not
wink.png

it works the trick is you have to keep moving them so often as a hawk will realize there stationary quickly and want to test the water Especially young hawks who are hard headed.

Quote:
On Monday I looked out the dining room window to see my quail freaking out in their pens. I had slept late to recover from having a night drill last weekend and it was hard to focus on exactly what was going on. Then I saw a huge hawk fly away from the top of the pen. I went outside and found two dead quail in the pens. The hawk had startled them and, when they flew up to the top of the pen, it reached through two layers of netting and pulled their heads off. It couldn't pull the bodies through the netting, so it just dropped them. I had to leave after cleaning everything up and didn't get back until after dark. The next morning it got another quail before I could put up any deterrents. I strung a yellow rope over the top of the quail pens and hung cds off of it to spin in the breeze. The hawk has not been back.

Quote:
Gimme a dozen red ones and six of the turquoise camo.
I am bringing turtle stew, Kudzu salad and Muscadine Cobbler! YUM YUM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom