*** OKIES in the BYC ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Purina is top-notch stuff for game birds, $15 is pretty cheap. I've not seen the Shawnee.

I think I could grow just about any insect except roaches. We have some kind of wild tree roach that lives in the woods out here and freaks me out whenever I find one in the coops. That and tarantulas. I have gone into the quail coop before only to find a spider the size of my face lurking up in the corner and watching me with its beady little eyes. Even the quail know better than to take on something like that, and they are fearless when it comes to food.

Quote:
If a racoon can reach chicken wire and get a firm grip on it he can shred it with ease. I suggest a bigger hardware cloth.

Or a good dog.

lol.png

It is tough to beat a good dog for predators, we keep 2 and 6 live traps. nothing is fool proof but it helps a lot.

Quote:
wee.gif
Thanks Poco - I can do that this week if it helps clear out your brooder - I can pick them up before Thursday, or anytime on Saturday. Am working NCAA all Thursday Friday Sunday...

Quote:
Purina is top-notch stuff for game birds, $15 is pretty cheap. I've not seen the Shawnee.

I think I could grow just about any insect except roaches. We have some kind of wild tree roach that lives in the woods out here and freaks me out whenever I find one in the coops. That and tarantulas. I have gone into the quail coop before only to find a spider the size of my face lurking up in the corner and watching me with its beady little eyes. Even the quail know better than to take on something like that, and they are fearless when it comes to food.

Oh how awesome!!!!!!!! The tarantula what an amazing camera opportunity!!!!!! They pose so well for the camera, I don't have any in my yard or coop
hit.gif
But sorry for you since you don't want them.

Quote:
Yep! The main thing is that the family knows she's all right and they can quit worrying about her. You can't help but think of the worst when days go by and still no word...

Thank You for your effort. It would have been a fluke if our friend had known her, but sometimes life IS stranger than fiction
smile.png

The footage from there is just horrendous. Granted, not everyone in the area is in dire straits, but there is a lot of human suffering and sad stories about family members lost in front of one's eyes. Even sadder are the ones that never get told as everyone perished.

On whole another note... my chickies are growing WAY too fast... one likes to fly on top of the feeder and sit there looking around. Curious lite chickie
smile.png

I'm thinking about some 2 story tractors for juvie LF and Silkies with the upper house portion floor 1 x 1/2 wire. If I use the 2 x 1 or 1 x 1 rabbit cage wire on the whole lower run portion that would keep most of our local baddies away even from the wire floor area correct? I guess I could look at 1/2 in hardware cloth for the whole pen section and that should reasonably protect the floor portion.

I can never do those google sketchup things worth a darn, but am thinking around 4 x 8, 3 ft tall possibly pvc with one side the raised house portion and a couple panels of that corrugated plastic roofing over all. I've got some siding scraps I could use for the house portion. I know that's not strong enough for a predator, but I thought if I used basically a cage under it would protect occupants within reasonably well.

So a 4 x 8 x 3ft pvc hardware cloth cage and halfway up inside on one side is another cage, or at least 1 wall and floor. I want something to cut down on mowing chores, cleaning chores, light enough the kids can move and reasonably decent looking.

As to the dogs, we've got 3 but my DH has fits if they're left out for even 1/2 hour without checking to see if they want in.
roll.png

Last edited:
Hey Donnie are you enjoying some time off! Although I am sure you are very busy with that little farm you got going there!lol. I went and got some feed,then came back and burned a pile of wood scraps I created yeaterday moving pens. Now its pouring rain. Guess its time to iron,or nap!
cool.png

Quote:
I don't mind them as long as I'm not trapped in an enclosed space with them looming over me. We have garden spiders and some other kind that spins their webs between the trees during the summer time. I have to be careful going down the path to the big coop once it starts getting dark, because that is prime real-estate for webspinning.

I'm just getting back online after a several day absence! My PM inbox had gotten filled up, but I just cleaned it out so if you need to contact me (specifically about bird sales) you should have better luck now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom