*** OKIES in the BYC ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I am sure we will get some, talkin my wife out of them may be the key, lol...any that come out plain black she will probably get rid of, but her silkied hens have not started layin yet...

We would prefer plain black due to critters around here and most of his are black so far with the exception of one white pair he had to have. I can always try for color later.

Quote:
I bumped the soap makers help thread up in the hobbies and added a list of supplies a firt timer would need.

I started small and worked up. It can be a science to get more lather, etc.

As for cost...I haven't bought store bought soaps in over 5 years now. I give a lot away as Christmas gifts. I can make a basic oil, lye, water bar for about 25 cents a bar. The cost goes up for the different essential oils and the number of oils you add to your recipe. and the cost of packaging. A 4.5 oz bar can run you $5.50 and up at the special markets. I can make 20 bars at a time of a "better" soap with several essential oils, 5 different oils, milk bar for about 1/2 that.
I've even used chicken fat in one of my recipes.

Are you saying that 20 bars is half the 5.50?

each bar would cost me $2.75 to make for the added oils etc.compared to the $5.50 charged. When I make soap, I'll spend a day making 10 batches and make several hundred bars.
A batch can be 1 pound for 4 bar or a 5 pound batch ct into 20 bars.

Quote:
Its all my fault, Im rambly this evening.
Hop in!!!

She said it not me!
tongue2.gif

But yes Maribeth Hop Hop in! The movie Hop comes out Fri, I need to get tickets!

Quote:
She probably wont make it to POOPS.... We need an instructional video...

I bumped the soap makers help thread up in the hobbies and added a list of supplies a firt timer would need.

As for cost...I haven't bought store bought soaps in over 5 years now. I give a lot away as Christmas gifts. I can make a basic oil, lye, water bar for about 25 cents a bar. The cost goes up for the different essential oils and the number of oils you add to your recipe. and the cost of packaging. A 4.5 oz bar can run you $5.50 and up at the special markets. I can make 20 bars at a time of a "better" soap with several essential oils, 5 different oils, milk bar for about 1/2 that.

I was making soap last fall for Christmas, it wasn't that hard & my family won't use anything else now. I have also made the laundry soap. My DH have very sensitive skin & itches if I change anything. He does very good on both. I haven't tried the goats milk soap, one because I don't have the milk & two because the heating up process that can happen with it. The thread has alot of good information & there are message board that are about nothing but soap & bath salts ect.

Quote:
Are you saying that 20 bars is half the 5.50?

each bar would cost me $2.75 to make for the added oils etc.compared to the $5.50 charged. When I make soap, I'll spend a day making 10 batches and make several hundred bars.
A batch can be 1 pound for 4 bar or a 5 pound batch ct into 20 bars.

So is it the scents that start making it cost more?

Quote:

I was making soap last fall for Christmas, it wasn't that hard & my family won't use anything else now. I have also made the laundry soap. My DH have very sensitive skin & itches if I change anything. He does very good on both. I haven't tried the goats milk soap, one because I don't have the milk & two because the heating up process that can happen with it. The thread has alot of good information & there are message board that are about nothing but soap & bath salts ect.

Where you been? Nana could have used your help with all the questions we threw at her....LOL

Quote:
they carry fragrance oils not essensial oils. You have to be careful with those as they can make your soap set up different & too fast. I did alot of reserch before & I advise anyone intested to make sure you understand the process before doing it as you can ruin a batch either by not setting up or setting up too fast.

You can get Essensial oils at Economy Pharmacy but they only carry a few.

I am still in need of a good mold for the bar soap, hope to build my own this spring (in my spare time ya know)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom