*** OKIES in the BYC ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just thinkin golden crossed with an LGD as they would be a little smaller, and a LOT of the big breeds have health problems not prone to smaller breeds of dogs, and goldens have such good attitudes and are loyal to a fault...

Evening all what a good day! I'm at the PRCA Rodeo tonight. A okie from Newkirk just won the steer wrestling with 3.3! It was awesome!

I have a pembroke welsch corgi and she is the best ever with the kids and the animals!

Quote:
Jersey is actual a GR/Irish Setter mix. You should know that. She is spoiled no worse than my chickens!

I love irish setters, my grandmother had a one eyed female someone dumped at their place. She was the sweetest smartest little dog...

Greybear send some of that nice day over here! Its been cold and wet all week. More rain tomorrow. Clearing for the sale sat tho so thats good. Take my piglet off tomorrow. Sure going to miss her. They become attached like dogs when you raise from babys!

Quote:
I'll trade my sunshine for your rain. I probably haven't had an inch of rain since October.

Last edited:
Got game, if you haven't considered the Catahoula then you might want to research them. Intelligent, loving, protective, gentle giants until their protection is warranted.

My Gracie and Red are wonderful protectors of humans first then the animals we love.
Gracie herds the grandchildren, but Red is my protector who thinks he is a lap dog. When people come who we don't know, Red is a formidable force...one guy even rolled up the truck window waiting for us to approach him..
23941_gracie_and_red.jpg

Here is Red relaxing on his floor couch. He weighs in at 80 pounds. He is acatahoula/ lab cross.
23941_red.jpg

Last edited:
I have had 3 catahoulas, they were excellent guard dogs, great buddies, dang good workin dogs, adn would kill anything cat size adn smaller...in my experience, working dogs are NOT good around small critters, as they have the drive and herding instinct, and if it doesnt herd, it gets bit, and if a dog bites a bantam, thats all she wrote....but I loved the catahoulas I had, awesome workin dogs...

oh, and the reason I dont have them anymore is because like border collies, heelers, etc...they were bred for generations for high drive as they are working dogs, and if you dont work them enough they find themselves a job, and most times it isnt what you want them to be doing...in my case it was keeping our neighbors cattle bayed up solid in the middle of his pasture, I wasnt givin them enough work....wish I could fine one that didnt have that high drive...

Quote:
I think that's where the labrador influence has been so nice with Red. He is a pleasure to have around, has never hurt a chicken or calf, is very laid back until put to work. He knows his place. Catahoula hunting dogs like Red's background are not herders...they were used in Louisanna to hunt in swampy areas...they have webbed feet.
And I agree, any dog must be trained and worked with to learn it's place in the family.

Your little Chihuahua will be a great warning system...and will be an ankle biter...they have a huge heart....did you know the Chihuahua was used to hunt bear? Yep, a pack of chihuahuas could surround a bear, bark and dodge quickly from the swats of a bear. I used to raise them...had 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom