*** OKIES in the BYC ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I cant say I agree with that, I know professional trainers that will tell you you cant trust a dog completely if you arent there to assume the roll of packleader...I can teach any dog to leave chickens alone if I am there, and I have trained dogs for other people off and on for 10 years, but teaching a dog with high prey drive to respect and leave chickens alone when they are flying and squawking and actin up and your not there? Very few dogs could you trust in that situation....just my opinion...

That is why I put the "most any" disclaimer in there. LOL

I once saw a border collie that people had as a pet in an apartment. Dog came from good working stock and since he didn't have a job he went crazy. A trainer here in Ok was trying to straighten him back out. All this dog did was to try to herd trees together and would bark and bite at them just like he would a flock of sheep. Very sad and I never did hear whether he got the dog straightened out.

Quote:
I cant say I agree with that, I know professional trainers that will tell you you cant trust a dog completely if you arent there to assume the roll of packleader...I can teach any dog to leave chickens alone if I am there, and I have trained dogs for other people off and on for 10 years, but teaching a dog with high prey drive to respect and leave chickens alone when they are flying and squawking and actin up and your not there? Very few dogs could you trust in that situation....just my opinion...

That is why I put the "most any" disclaimer in there. LOL

I once saw a border collie that people had as a pet in an apartment. Dog came from good working stock and since he didn't have a job he went crazy. A trainer here in Ok was trying to straighten him back out. All this dog did was to try to herd trees together and would bark and bite at them just like he would a flock of sheep. Very sad and I never did hear whether he got the dog straightened out.

lol, it is too bad as I LOVE border collies, aussies and catahoulas, they are so intelligent and eager to please, but you gotta have a job for them ro they are are so destructive...that is sooo sad
sad.png

This guy had some dogs that were just too cool. They knew what the sheep were going to do because they had been with this flock for awhile. He could put the flock on a pasture with no fences and just let the dogs take care of it.

He said the only fault with the border collies was their intellegence. If the dogs started to lose control of a flock they would back off completely to let the flock settle and to get a plan before herding them again and in competition that is frowned upon.

whats going on today? Man i am about to have a chick explosion. Got turkeys geese chickens chuckars and ducks all going to hatch on the 17th and 18.

Quote:
border collies are amazing dogs...I have been watching for a 'failed' border collie myself, find one with some herding instinct but not much and you would do fine with them around chickens...

Quote:
just did, have 2 that weigh 16 oz, one that weighs 17oz, and one that weighs 21, lol....and the cock is big too, he weighs 26oz....but if I keep the two that were 16oz and the 17oz, they should help drop the size in the offspring....what can you tell me about their quality from the pics if anything? I know pictures dont show much, but you will see more than I will lookin at them....I tried callin ya back last week...
lemonbluemodernhen.JPG

mymoderns.JPG

silverbluehen.JPG

silverbluehens2.JPG

Last edited:
I know he is too big, and he fans his tail when they shouldnt, what is too much 'fan' and how big a deal is it? None of the hens fan their tail in the slightest, so that should help....but other than that, he seems pretty well balanced, as do the hens...he is an '09 bird...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom