*** OKIES in the BYC ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
All in the day of the life of a FARMER!!!! Gotta love it or you can't live with it!! If you love it you can't live without it!!!! I love farming, a bad day farming is better than any good day workin in a factory like I have the last 27 years!!! Lynn
wink.png
big_smile.png
cool.png

Quote:
I can't begin to imagine the labor involved in planting 1200 tomato plants. So sorry that 300 of them sustained wind damage. I know that the weather predictors try to guess the temperatures, but I doubt there is a computer program or a "trick knee" anywhere that can predict the wind.

Quote:
Carla i was told that you have to put light on it , and it will grow like wild fire , but again i was just told this i have yet to try it lol , was wanting to hear from others about their experiences before i give it a go lol

You need to be vert carefull about protien levels and insure the birds get a balanced diet. For good laying and hatching 17-20% protien is really all you want but it needs to be balanced between animal and vegitable protien. Additionally vitamin, fat, and oil content will make a difference in both production and hatchability. For production you want a low fat and oil content. For show conditioning you want a higher fat and oil content. For older birds hatchability you want a higher plant oil content. feed needs are based on the age of the bird, and desired use of the egg. Low protien and solely plant protien feeds are generally undesirable feeds for birds.

so veggies and fruits are good for birds , but are they not considered plant proteins ?

Donnie here is a crop from a letter I recieved from my friend in Texas, I just sent him another letter inquireing about updates to his system, will let you know when I find something else out, This guy also produces his own Methane to run his farm and heat his home made from Shipping Containers, does all his cooking with Methane also!!! The Duckweed is grown on the ponds that feed his Methane digester!!! Lynn
cool.png

The deal is that duckweed grows best in some shade. Grows ok in sunlight but in some shade it really takes off.
I built my ponds 10X12ft so I could reach any corner to harvest with a net. Each hog get 12lbs wet daily. You can dry it for use later but since it grows year round here I don't need to. It just loses slightly on nutrients when dries. Obviously it loses the chlorephyl. One thing to remember is that duckweed doesn't like wind, tends to pile up in the corners and kills the bottom half.
When finished I will have 8 ponds that grow duckweed.
We feed pigs, chickens and rabbits duckweed. A complete food, but pigs need a little extra lysiene so I feed a tomato per week to each hog. The nice thing about the whole deal is that the more they eat the more methane they make which helps make more duckweeed. Duckweed really is free feed.

Last edited:
Quote:
awesome ... ill be checking into this a bit more myself just to see more in detail the information on it , im not planing on using it as the only food , but basically as a treat of sort for the birds is all , i feed high protein feeds anyway

I have been watching a huge wildfire just a 1/2 mile from the house, it started near Ft Sill and has traveled an awfully long way so far, I went up to high ground to watch and Dang it's getting close. So we are all dressed now and watching closely, they do have some trucks and graders out as I think they are following it as it moves. They are trying to make sure it doesn't jump Trail rd then it's gonna be real bad cause those pastures are really overgrown with dead uncut winter grass. The sad thing is I know most of the vollenteer fire guy's and that in itself has me more scared LOL.

AL

The info on the duck weed has been very interesting, definately worth doing a little more research and brainstorming to see how it could fit into my little corner of the universe.

Quote:
You need to be vert carefull about protien levels and insure the birds get a balanced diet. For good laying and hatching 17-20% protien is really all you want but it needs to be balanced between animal and vegitable protien. Additionally vitamin, fat, and oil content will make a difference in both production and hatchability. For production you want a low fat and oil content. For show conditioning you want a higher fat and oil content. For older birds hatchability you want a higher plant oil content. feed needs are based on the age of the bird, and desired use of the egg. Low protien and solely plant protien feeds are generally undesirable feeds for birds.

so veggies and fruits are good for birds , but are they not considered plant proteins ?

Donnie,
If the birds are confined and never range and not provided any suplements a low protien solely plant protien source is not a desireable feed source. However fresh fruit and vegatable matter as suplements to any feed source does not hurt any bird. Most fresh fruits and vegatables provide more vitamin sources than protien sources. A balanced diet inclusive of both plant and animal protien along with adequate vitamin and minieral sources the birds will thrive however too high or low of protien or a single source of protien they will suffer in one area of performance.

Just spoke with a friend who lives about a half mile from Al and she said it seems to be mostly controlled. But they are keeping a close eye on it to see what happens. She will update me when/if things change.

The local news web page (I'm in Arlington TX right now) says it is 70% contained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom