*** OKIES in the BYC ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoo hoo!!! I finally made it through all of the posts. I haven't been able to read in 5 days and it took me 2 days worth of free time to catch up. I've been slammed around here. Now its time to think about dinner and get the house cleaned. We are hosting an Easter party for a couple of friends and their kids on Saturday, so the inside and outside of the house need to be overhauled before the weekend.

We got our new pool set up last weekend and the high winds blew Lauren's wooden playhouse into the side of it. Luckily it only scratched one of the legs to the pool, but it ripped the front of the playhouse off. I need to see about finding a way to fix it now. I've been so busy with work and various doctor's appointments lately that I haven't taken the time to do much of anything around home.

On my first hatch of the season, I ended up with 26/30 babies, but ended up losing 2 of them. My second hatch hasn't been so great. We lost power for most of Friday due to the wind and out of the 11 eggs in lockdown, only 2 hatched. One has curled toes and splayed legs. I've got it taped right now and I'm hoping it will heal, but I'm not sure. I'm gonna leave the eggs in for another day or so to make sure nothing else hatches. I've got a great mix of Serama and Silver Duckwing babies. I also have 4 Bantam Cochins in the mix. I received them in an egg swap last month.I have no intention on keeping the Cochins, if anyone wants them. I'll have them for sell at POOPS, unless you want them beforehand. They are about a week old now.

Well I need to go start dinner. I'll be back in a few minutes.

I have a bird that had its flight feathers clipped (hate that) and was wonderin if there is any way to get them to molt them out? I know you cant just pull a flight feather like you can a tail feather, any advice?

Quote:
You can try a force molt on the bird but I have never done it before.

ya, I had thought about that, feed them nothing but a high protein cat or dog food for 2-3 weeks adn that will do it....

Provocativ yes you can bring non tested birds to poops. Those with npip flocks will have to test any birds they might get before introducing them to their flocks,but that's their responsibility. It's one of the drawbacks of npip testing,they want you to only buy from tested flocks so it limits getting some good deals on birds. Of course they have the benefit of being able to advertise their npip flocks as such and it makes them more valuable. So if you have some birds that aren't tested bring them,there are still a lot of us who don't test and we love to swap and trade birds!lol

Quote:
Do you want to breed from it anytime soon? If so wait if it's no big deal then here you go... Elevate the feed protien level to 20-28% for two weeks. Following that reduce feed protien to 15% and restrict light to 10 hrs a day.. wait 1 week then wait 8 weeks for feathers to re-appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom