*** OKIES in the BYC ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Sorry about your dog
hugs.gif
They are prone to back problems, they can injure it and you not even know how.

Quote:
So sorry to hear you are having to go thru this. Sounds like Tom has made his peace and when he goes is on his terms...may that be comfort to you and your family.
My grandmother and mother did the same thing...waited until the last child was able to visit...then peacefully slipped away.
My prayers are with your family.

We intended to bring Tom home to die yesterday, but when his doctor came in and looked at him about 1:40 p.m., he said "Let's give it another 24 hours here." My mother was so relieved as she was nervous to have him home without the support of nurses just outside the door... So Mom went home about 2:00 to get some clothes to spend another night at his bedside, and I was happy to stay with Tom. I was the only one in the room when he took his last breaths. I had my hand on his shoulder and had sung a couple of hymns quietly to him - It Is Well With My Soul and I Need Thee Every Hour. Then I got the Bible and said "Tom, I'll bet you're already on the other side of the valley, but I want to read Psalm 23...for me." While I was reading the 23rd Psalm he took his last breaths. It was 3:00 on the dot. It was my great privilege to have him as a second father, and to be with him at the last. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

You are in my heart - no I didn't mean thoughts - this is a heart time not a brain time.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi! I live in East Tulsa (near 41st and 129th), and our neighbors have been fairly receptive to our little flock. I love our neighborhood and our school district, Union - if that's important to you. Tulsa Public is a big mess right now. I've heard of people all throughout the city with chickens, and I haven't heard of any specific problems. I even work with an attorney who has chickens in the Utica Square (the old money neighborhood) area of town with no problems.

There's plenty of houses in our area for rent! Some people might not like East Tulsa, but we've lived here for 12 years and love it! Good luck house hunting!

Quote:
Rebecca, your mottled girl is laying really well - 4 more eggs already this week! She is in with my #2 mille fleur roo. I put her eggs under my black pullet who went broody on only 3 eggs. The black pullet is in with my lavender roos. That should be an interesting hatch. Unless you are coming to the Newcastle auction Saturday I will bring her to you at POOPS.

Quote:
A couple of days after I put my 4 mo. old hatches out into the new pen one found a small snake, about 8" long and about as big around as a pencil. (No, it wasn't a worm.) That was a fun event to watch - 5 cochins running around with those feathered feet and fluffy bloomers. The original snake-catcher finally got to eat it! So lunch goes both ways.

I have 5 standard size modern game hens and one rooster. Today all 5 hens laid. I dont think that has happened since I have owned them nearly a year.

Quote:
I am really liking my shamos, the verdict is still out on the aseels, they need a lot of handling...

I adore my asils, great birds, calm & the stag talks to you when he sees you. The pullet doesn't go crazy attacking me when I put feed & water down for her babies.

Love my brazillian stag, he's very people friendly.

Ya, my shamo cock has an awesome attitude, he follows me around and if I dont give him scratch he starts pecking my feet, lol....there is a cockbird richard has I am gonna save my money and buy, GORGEOUS aseel...

Quote:
When you move bees, it is a few feet at a time over several days, OR it is 1/4 mile. Bees have their navigational homing systems set up for the cycle of the sun. You either have to work with it or make a bigger jump. If the bees are trying to set back in the same location, they are homing. The sewer crew may not like them that close.....We've had hies for years.

Ordinarily, I would have done the "gentle move" and done it a few feet at a time. Under the circumstances, I decided to tape them up for a few days after the move, so that when they came out of the hive, they would re-orient themselves with the sun. We moved them Monday night and I untaped them this morning (Thursday). Some of the hives had bees going in and out of the spaces between boxes that got a little bit out of alignment in the move.

The bees that are back in the original bee yard are in two groups. One was swarming comb that was beneath a hive that was moved. I put that comb into a bucket and took it to the new bee yard and set it about 15 feet from the hives, since I don't know which hives those bees are from. There are still bees swarming the cinderblocks that the honeycomb hive was setting on, but I think they are cleaning up honey and wax.

The second group decided to go into an empty hive box that was next to the relocated hives. I moved the empty hive to the new bee yard and set it up there. Most of the bees came with it, but there are still some bees covering the top of the cinder block that the empty hive was on. Since they can't have a queen with them, I feel certain that they will either find a hive to call home, or die. I will spray the cinder blocks with mouthwash tomorrow, to cover any scent from the old hives. There aren't enough bees covering the cinderblocks to even call them a swarm - certainly not enough bees that I would ever want to waste gas to get that quantity off of a tree somewhere.

I have only had honeybees since 2006, so am still learning about them, which is why I attend monthly meetings in Noble and OKC - so I can pick the brains of the long time beekeepers.
smile.png
I am glad to know someone else on this forum with bees. Chiclooker and NeilV have bees also.

Can you check your hives to see if you have a new queen growing or do your contacts have an extra queen. By placing the new queen in a candy queen box pen, you can put her in the hive with the worker bees and they will eat the candy to release her and by that time will have accepted her. A worker bee hive can survive a long time....but will eventually die. If a queen can be introduced and you can offer food to the hive until her eggs hatch, you will have a viable hive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom