*** OKIES in the BYC ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Ok, well I am gonna up my humidity, drop my temp to 98.5 instead of 99, spray them with oxine when I collect them, and keep them in fridge for my next batch and see how it goes...

whats too cold for eggs as far as temp in the fridge? It occasionally will get up to 75+ degrees in the house so that may be part of the problem...

Quote:
Below 50 could be too cold and over 70 is too warm and they may start to develop. I put an incubator thermometer all over my house and found a spot in the corner of a little used storage closet that the temp stay's about 65 degrees. I have had great hatches from eggs stored there up to 12 day's, and I have been using that spot to store eggs for 2 yrs.

Gotgame, I don,t think I would lower the temp. The one that hatched this morning for me hatched early but I have been storing them at room temp and I have my windows open so they may be starting before being put in the bator. It sounds to me you are having hot and cool spots like nnbreeder said. My last hatch it was just the ones by the turner motor like he stated, I have added a fan to that one and have switched the eggs around also. I think you may be going with to many changes at once, bit that is just my opinion, I am still learning about incubating. Also the chick that hatched this morning is the first one in my new Reptipro.

Quote:
We have our fridge set to be about 45 deg. Keeps things good and I have had good hatches from the eggs. Whether I want to eat them or hatch them they are ready either way.

I have a friend that uses a wine cooler to store her eggs in, controlled temp and humidity too.

Now here is my disclaimer. What works for me may not work for you and even from year to year your hatching program will take a litte treaking due to the outside weather and other factors like feed quality and the health of the breeders. But it won't take long to zero in on the variables and correct problems.

Quote:
Fertility still begins to drop off after 10 day's of storage regardless of temp but some folks may have more oppinions on that.

Quote:
From my experiance they start to loose viability after about 7 days but I know of people that have hatched eggs that were two weeks old. As long as they are kept cool they won't start to devolop.

If hand turning the old hands would not touch them for at least four days to allow the veins to get well devoloped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom