Oklahoma Poultry Federation... Shawnee, OK

Have another question.....Once we get this figured out, we'll owe
all of you big-time !

OK, at this show Saturday morning, the Kid entered his Old English
Rooster in that class, and then his Old English Hen in her class.
When it came time for the Old English final round, both of his
birds qualified. So, his sister, who is 4-H also, had to pinch hit
and show one of them in that round.....the same situation with
his Cochins.

How would something like this work at Shawnee? For a show of
this size, I don't figure there'll be time for someone to go
swap out birds, etc., and don't know if someone else could
pinch hit with an additional entry if two placed in the same
class. Should we split up the birds and enter one bird, to be
shown by one kid, in these classes?

Not by a long-long-shot do I think we'll do any good at our
first big show.....would just like to have our duckies in a row
from the get-go so we can spend our efforts in learning
new stuff and not having to double back and re-learn all
the stuff we did wrong.....LOL

Appreciate all of you. Have a good one !

I don't know much about how the shows operate. You might pm Gracefulbantams with your questions or post them on the Okie thread. She shows birds and is very knowledgable on how everything works.
Monty

What??? I know what you're talking about because I judge the 4H shows...but at somewhat "professional" shows we don't have to switch anything at all.

The judge goes through each and every bird judging it against the Standard of Perfection. Whichever bird is closer to the SOP for that breed are given the best prize. Usually BV= Best of Variety, BB=Best of Breed, RV= Reserve of Variety, RB= Reserve of Breed.

The BB's compete for the overall class winner. Which will be Best of Meditteranean, Best of Asiatic, etc. These class winners will compete for the Large Fowl and Bantam and then there will be a contest for Overall Show Champion.

This is just a run down...but you don't move the birds around from cage to cage once the show begins. So your kids shouldn't have to run around figuring out what they have to do to make both birds qualify.

The exhibitors are not allowed anywhere near the judge during judging...although I'm sure plenty will be crowding around the barriers...LOL

I guess that 4-H shows are different, but in exhibition poultry shows like Shawnee it works like this.
You enter your bird - say a BB Red old English pullet and with your grandchild it is entered in both the junior show and the open show. They will judge the bird against the juniors and then against the open, so it can win the junior show and the open show.
This is different from most shows where they have a Junior show and then an open show and they don't compete against each other.

A bird is entered at a show and no swapping is allowed once the judging has begun. Also a single bird can be entered only once by one exhibitor( an exhibitor can also be a team)

Good luck!
Bob

So.......in a show like this.... The Kid, or kids, wouldn't be actually
taking their birds to a table, etc., for competition? .... unless there
was a Showmanship Class or something like that????

Thank all of you so very much. Have a good one !

You leave the birds alone...judges or other officials will move them if need be...no showmanship as far as I know. Wish our area did bird shows...the county show refuses to raise the number of auctioned animals past 100...that means the goats get two slots...the steers have enough slots that you can go get an animal out of a pasture spray it off and get in the sale...a little irritating. There are no classes for birds or rabbits...even the fair is pathetic...but we are trying...some buddies and I getting different breeds just to put them in and have peoplke see them

There will be approximately 2800 birds and 2800 coops for each bird to go into. The judge will move from class to class and handle each bird( except waterfowl and turkeys).

Thanks soooo much, all of you. Once we know what we're talking
about, we promise to stay around and share what we have
learned with the "newbies" as well. I have been active in a Home
Canning Forum for years with members from coast to coast.
Home Canning is my passion and it's so neat to help a new
person get involved. We'll feel the same way by this poultry
effort, as well. Years ago, my husband initiated the Swine
Association in our county back when his girls were young. Guess
he'll always be involved with "kids" and "critters"......LOL

Seems that when everything else is so "topsy-turvey", people
that are involved in these types of efforts still maintain,,,,, in
attitude and effort, regardless.

Thanks again. May just put a sticker on the back of our
camper in the lot that says, "TJ's Na-Na". Would love to thank
you in person.

The very best of luck to all of you !

Quote:
It was Sheridan Walker and she won Champion modern in both the open and the junior. I do not believe she went any farther than that, although that was pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom