Okra with Carrots

carlye828

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 14, 2011
NE Ohio
I am just wondering if anyone has planted carrots with their okra before? I am trying to get as much as possible in the garden before I go out of town for a month, and the other day, I did a section of carrots and then a different section of okra. Then I just said, what the hay, and planted carrots in with my okra also.

Now I'm thinking I may have messed up. My okra is Clemson Spineless, about 60 days, and the carrots I put there are Little Finger, 65-70 days. If the okra chokes out the carrots that are too close, that's OK because I have more carrots planted and I plan on getting in at least 1 more succession of them before the first freeze. But, If the carrots prevent my okra from developing a good root system, I will just be heart broken. I wanted enough to pickle and eat fresh this year.

If anyone has tried this and it didn't work out too well, I'd rather rip it up and re-plant now, before I go. I have someone tending while I'm gone, but it's pretty much just a watering job.

Thoughts?

Thanks. I've companioned okra with lots of other stuff, but never a root vegetable. And I am so looking forward to eating them again! My favorite way is straight of the plant!

My husbands family is Greek, so he likes it sliced, dipped in egg, then rolled in cornmeal and fry it in bacon grease. It's delicious, but not so good for you.

That is like we grew up eating it! Yum! I never knew how versatile okra could be until I grew it my self. It is one of my favorites; a garden must have!

Typically, any time you grow vegetables that take up a different level in the soil and air, you will do fine. ie. Okra is above ground primarily and carrots below ground with low tops. As long as they have plenty of water and good soil so they are not competing for the nutrients they need, you should be fine. Also, carrots don't like it as hot so the okra will provide a bit of shade.

Back
Top Bottom