Old and new stories involving chickens

HeidiGetsChicks

Songster
Apr 15, 2023
I need a place to share chicken stories, both of my own current flock and from growing up. Something in another thread reminded me of this one from when I was a kid...

First, some background info. I was 5 years old and we had just moved to Cameroon, which is a country in west Africa. We were right on the equator, bordering Nigeria, in a very remote area only reachable by several days on foot through rough terrain or by helicopter.

Our house in the village was a simple mud brick construction with no plumbing, electricity, doors or windows. Chickens, goats and the occasional cat roamed freely through. During a torrential downpour it was particularly difficult to shove them back outside. 🤣

Anyway, our very first day there, we were completely new to this area, to these people, to this culture, and to chickens. And....there were chickens nesting inside the house. Our house. Two of them, actually.....on the same nest.

Two chickens, one nest full of eggs. Inside our house with just open holes as windows and doorways.

Oh, the ruckus was unbelievable. They fought day in and day out over which one of them would sit on the nest. My parents didn't know what to do; they were worried about making a cultural blunder so we just survived it the first few days. The chickens got a room all to themselves and our family of four all slept on the dirt floor in the next room.

I distinctly recall one day while we were eating the ruckus suddenly went silent and I ran in to check on them. The two hens had decided to share the nest, sitting side by side, each covering half of it. I thought it was adorable.

I don't remember exactly how many days went by, but we noticed mites were invading the rest of our house from the room with the nest and I think that was the last straw for my parents, who very cautiously and apologetically explained to our neighbors that we aren't accustomed to living with chickens, and asked how we could proceed to get them out of our house.

I remember the villagers deftly dividing the eggs - they apparently were able to tell which eggs belonged to which hen. I don't recall what happened after that, but my guess is they resettled the chickens with their respective clutches elsewhere. I've never seen or heard of them eating eggs in that area despite malnutrition due to lack of protein, as chickens were considered far more valuable.

That was my very first introduction to raising chickens!

Okay so for this story you have to have a basic understanding of army ants.

These ants have such huge pinchers that they used to be used to close surgical incisions. If they bite you, you try to brush them off and the head remains on. You will bleed.

Army ants live in huge colonies that are 100% nomadic, eating everything in their unpredictable path as they go. The locals appreciated them as your friendly local exterminator who dropped by unexpectedly and forced you to leave for a few days. You'd return to a house free of roaches, spiders, and other bugs.

Army ants will also take down mammals that cannot outrun them, regardless of size.

So I was lying in bed trying to sleep when we heard the chickens squawking in the coop outside. My dad went out to investigate, and when he returned there was such a commotion that I went and opened the bedroom door only to see my dad stripping his pants off and stamping madly around. 🤣

Our chicken coop had been invaded by army ants. The chickens were being eaten alive.

We all ran outside to help--in tennis shoes and underwear, so that no ants could crawl up our pants and surprise us--and quickly developed a system: my dad would grab whatever two chickens he could and bring them down to our assembly line of ant poison. There was this white powder poison toxic to bugs we used called piff paff. The poor chickens' feet and legs were already peeled even down to the bone in some places by the ants, which were still attached and munching away. One by one we'd dip their feet and legs thoroughly in the ant poison and then tuck them away to survive the night under the eaves of our house, where a generous line of poison protected them from further attack.

We didn't know if they'd survive their injuries or the poison, we just knew we had to try to save them and not a second could be wasted.

Incredibly, every one of our chickens survived. Their feet healed up and within a couple days the ants had moved on and the chickens could settle back into their coop.

Here in the US we have various predators to deal with, but I'm grateful ants isn't one of them.

These ants have such huge pinchers that they used to be used to close surgical incisions. If they bite you, you try to brush them off and the head remains on. You will bleed.

Army ants live in huge colonies that are 100% nomadic, eating everything in their unpredictable path as they go. The locals appreciated them as your friendly local exterminator who dropped by unexpectedly and forced you to leave for a few days. You'd return to a house free of roaches, spiders, and other bugs.

Army ants will also take down mammals that cannot outrun them, regardless of size.

So I was lying in bed trying to sleep when we heard the chickens squawking in the coop outside. My dad went out to investigate, and when he returned there was such a commotion that I went and opened the bedroom door only to see my dad stripping his pants off and stamping madly around. 🤣

Our chicken coop had been invaded by army ants. The chickens were being eaten alive.

We all ran outside to help--in tennis shoes and underwear, so that no ants could crawl up our pants and surprise us--and quickly developed a system: my dad would grab whatever two chickens he could and bring them down to our assembly line of ant poison. There was this white powder poison toxic to bugs we used called piff paff. The poor chickens' feet and legs were already peeled even down to the bone in some places by the ants, which were still attached and munching away. One by one we'd dip their feet and legs thoroughly in the ant poison and then tuck them away to survive the night under the eaves of our house, where a generous line of poison protected them from further attack.

We didn't know if they'd survive their injuries or the poison, we just knew we had to try to save them and not a second could be wasted.

Incredibly, every one of our chickens survived. Their feet healed up and within a couple days the ants had moved on and the chickens could settle back into their coop.

Here in the US we have various predators to deal with, but I'm grateful ants isn't one of them.
Gruesome! But glad they all survived!! 💖

I need a place to share chicken stories, both of my own current flock and from growing up. Something in another thread reminded me of this one from when I was a kid...

First, some background info. I was 5 years old and we had just moved to Cameroon, which is a country in west Africa. We were right on the equator, bordering Nigeria, in a very remote area only reachable by several days on foot through rough terrain or by helicopter.

Our house in the village was a simple mud brick construction with no plumbing, electricity, doors or windows. Chickens, goats and the occasional cat roamed freely through. During a torrential downpour it was particularly difficult to shove them back outside. 🤣

Anyway, our very first day there, we were completely new to this area, to these people, to this culture, and to chickens. And....there were chickens nesting inside the house. Our house. Two of them, actually.....on the same nest.

Two chickens, one nest full of eggs. Inside our house with just open holes as windows and doorways.

Oh, the ruckus was unbelievable. They fought day in and day out over which one of them would sit on the nest. My parents didn't know what to do; they were worried about making a cultural blunder so we just survived it the first few days. The chickens got a room all to themselves and our family of four all slept on the dirt floor in the next room.

I distinctly recall one day while we were eating the ruckus suddenly went silent and I ran in to check on them. The two hens had decided to share the nest, sitting side by side, each covering half of it. I thought it was adorable.

I don't remember exactly how many days went by, but we noticed mites were invading the rest of our house from the room with the nest and I think that was the last straw for my parents, who very cautiously and apologetically explained to our neighbors that we aren't accustomed to living with chickens, and asked how we could proceed to get them out of our house.

I remember the villagers deftly dividing the eggs - they apparently were able to tell which eggs belonged to which hen. I don't recall what happened after that, but my guess is they resettled the chickens with their respective clutches elsewhere. I've never seen or heard of them eating eggs in that area despite malnutrition due to lack of protein, as chickens were considered far more valuable.

That was my very first introduction to raising chickens!
What a great memory! Thank you for sharing it.

:th

Wow, thanks for sharing. I enjoy your stories!

I thought European Fire Ants were bad, omg Army Ants are vicious! So glad you had that powder available, it must be really tough stuff.

These are Real Life True stories & what I'd like to see in movies, instead of most ridiculous crap they consider entertainment these days.

Back
Top Bottom