Old bank barn vs. new chicken coop

1stACT

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
Skippack, Pennsylvania
I currently have a small flock (7 hens and 3 roosters) which will be expanding very soon to a total of 18. My girls are now housed in a coop with a large run, but with the addition of the new peeps, the coop will be way to small. Also on the property is a bank barn which has a dirt floor and stone foundation. My question, I've been contemplating moving the whole bunch into the barn but it seems to be very cold and drafty in the winter. There are no other large animals living in the barn so no one to help heat it up. Also, I am concerned about rats. Does anyone have and experience and or suggestions on converting a portion of their barn into a usable chicken house? It seems REALLY stupid to build another exterior chicken building, since I have the use of barn's basement.

I currently have a small flock (7 hens and 3 roosters) which will be expanding very soon to a total of 18. My girls are now housed in a coop with a large run, but with the addition of the new peeps, the coop will be way to small. Also on the property is a bank barn which has a dirt floor and stone foundation. My question, I've been contemplating moving the whole bunch into the barn but it seems to be very cold and drafty in the winter. There are no other large animals living in the barn so no one to help heat it up. Also, I am concerned about rats. Does anyone have and experience and or suggestions on converting a portion of their barn into a usable chicken house? It seems REALLY stupid to build another exterior chicken building, since I have the use of barn's basement.

just wall of a small area for the chickens and try to make it somewhat rat proof you can even put in a wood floor if ya wanted to

Do you currently have a rat problem?
You could line the floor portion with rat wire (1/2" hardware cloth) then use a deep litter in the winter.

Got a pic of the barn?

To my knowledge I don't have rats, BUT one of my cats came home with a dead one. Good boy!!! There are multiple barns around here so I don't know where the rat came from. Years ago, I had two pet rabbits living in the barn, and I did see a rat then. So, I figured that if I moved the girls inside, the rats might make their appearance known. YUCK!! I guess if I move them inside I'd have to build an elevated rat proof coop.

We built a coop in our existing drafty barn. It has worked quite nicely and winters here get cold! We have hardt breeds, and so far all is well. We were able to build a very large coop by doing this as well whereas an exterior coop would have been smaller and less pretty due to cost.

Not a very good pic but you get the idea of what ours looks like. 6 hens in the coop currently and 12 chicks in the brooder.

To my knowledge I don't have rats, BUT one of my cats came home with a dead one. Good boy!!! There are multiple barns around here so I don't know where the rat came from. Years ago, I had two pet rabbits living in the barn, and I did see a rat then. So, I figured that if I moved the girls inside, the rats might make their appearance known. YUCK!! I guess if I move them inside I'd have to build an elevated rat proof coop.
You could do that.
That's what I did, shed is elevated with a wood floor but I built the framework and lined all 6 sides in 1/2" hardware cloth to exclude everything including rodents.
If you keep your feed in metal cans and keep that cat roaming 24/7, chances are you'll not have rat problems.

Not a very good pic but you get the idea of what ours looks like. 6 hens in the coop currently and 12 chicks in the brooder.
Thanks for the picture. That is helpful!! My barn is cold, so I think I'd need to build some solid walls. Thanks!!!!
You could do that.
That's what I did, shed is elevated with a wood floor but I built the framework and lined all 6 sides in 1/2" hardware cloth to exclude everything including rodents.
If you keep your feed in metal cans and keep that cat roaming 24/7, chances are you'll not have rat problems.
That's a lot of hardware cloth...$$$ I think I must have the most expensive chickens in Pennsylvania
duc.gif
How big did you make your coop?
Thanks!!!!

You could do that.

aart I just checked out your "My Coop". All I can say is WOW what lucky girls & boy. And you did use a lot of hardware cloth. Thanks for your postings!!

Back
Top Bottom