Old Eye Injury or Different Colored Eyes

marlo1968

Songster
7 Years
Mar 31, 2012
Lorenzo, TX
Just wondering what may be the cause here, in this pic you can see that this hen's eyes are different colors. One is the normal color with a round pupil (on the left) and one is green with a slit like a reptile for a pupil (on right). Any thoughts? My only guess is that it's an old injury? Or maybe she just has a funky eye? Thanks for your input.

Was she like that when you got her? Have you looked at the mereks information. I do hope you quarantined her from your flock.

Her eye has been like this since I got her, she is completely healthy looking and in behavior. Not sluggish, no drainage, no cough, poo is fine, habits are fine, eats and drinks well, walks/runs well. Really don't think she's sick in any way. Her interactions with the other hens is normal.
I bought her with 14 other hens from a woman who raises and sells chickens and eggs. Her facility was clean, bright, large and saw no chickens that were acting strange. Everybody was running around, clucking, and scratching happily. Even had about 6 hens fly into my vehicle while we were loading the hens I was buying.
I have looked over the Mereks info and none of my hens have exhibited any of the behaviors/symptoms mentioned.

Does anyone know if this chicken is a carrier does that mean that all my hens will get sick? I have been reading everything I can find, but cannot seem to find info about risk to other hens from a carrier......need to know what I'm dealing with here. Do I need to cull her? Is it too late, what do I do now basically is what I need to know. Sure wish I had done more research before I got hens.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom