What’s up with my hens eye?

3SiameseCats

Songster
Jun 24, 2023
Massachusetts
Not sure what to make of this. Noticed it since she’s been making a bunch of odd noises. Both eyes colors are normal, it’s just her left eye looks puffy and different compared to her right.

Attachments

• IMG_0775.jpeg
    IMG_0775.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0777.jpeg
    IMG_0777.jpeg
    355.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0779.jpeg
    IMG_0779.jpeg
    897 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0782.jpeg
    IMG_0782.jpeg
    711 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0783.jpeg
    IMG_0783.jpeg
    495 KB · Views: 10
How long has she been like that?
Could you get a video of the noises she's making?
I would rinse her eye out with saline and apply terramycin a few times a day to start off.

Could be an insect sting. Do your chickens have access to fruit trees?

You could try some antihistamine (benadryl) and see if the swelling will go down.

Last edited:
Could be an insect sting. Do your chickens have access to fruit trees?

You could try some antihistamine (benadryl) and see if the swelling will go down.
Not the season. There are still bees around but not many. We went down to 39f last night. Also her eye is looking better today, although my mom said she saw one of the roosters pecking at one of the hens. Have to assume it’s Goat, he was all by himself on the roost last night while all our other hens were cuddled with Lucky.

How long has she been like that?
Could you get a video of the noises she's making?
I would rinse her eye out with saline and apply terramycin a few times a day to start off.
Noises aren’t unusual but I think she doesn’t have her full range of sight due to the inflammation. I’ve seen pain in a chicken before so I know what it looks and abounds like. How in the world do I wash her eye out? She’s going to hate that.

How in the world do I wash her eye out? She’s going to hate that.
You grab her from the roost at night, bundle her up in a towel with just her head sticking out, sit yourself down while positioning her on her side on your lap, the bad eye up for easy reach.
Then wash her eye using lots of saline eye wash and apply some terramycin eye ointment or similar.

my mom said she saw one of the roosters pecking at one of the hens

Have to assume it’s Goat, he was all by himself on the roost last night while all our other hens were cuddled with Lucky.
Sounds as if it is time to get rid of Goat. A rooster should protect, defend and care for his flock, not injure them and cause fear and aversion.

Back
Top Bottom